Registering sample based music with Performance Rights Organizations, Ye or Nae??

MuurKaNāga¹³

Melanin Magik Musik 13™
*I originally posted this thread in the "music business section", but it seems that that section is kinda dead in terms of activity lolll. Hopefully I'll have better luck here...

Greetings cuzzins, I just want 2 have your opinions on registering non cleared sample based music with PROs.

Would it be wise 2 do so? What are the risks involved?

I know getting sample clearance is one of the biggest hassle of any sample based producer, but @ the same time, I know that these lawyers only go after the big fishes and wouldn't really waste their time with small independent producers like myself.

On the other hand, when you start dealing with PROs, you really starting 2 get in the real music business world and, for the most part, have 2 comply with the different rules and regulations.

I talked 2 a SOCAN (Canadian PRO) representative and she basically told me that if I wanted 2 register a sampled based song with them, I would have 2 get written permission from the publisher of the sampled song and send it 2 them. But she also told me that I could register the song as a song with "no samples", but that would be @ my own risk...

What do you guys think??

Last edited:
Back