Regarding drums

Ok, first of all a question that is probably (very) stupid: is there anything to gain by making chords with drum samples? :)

Last but not least, I know this topic has been discussed before, but how important is it to tune your drum sounds to the key of your song, and/or to the other drum sounds? I mean in the old days with hardware that wasn't very usual ( gear limitations and what not) and still those beat are bangin', so... what's up with that?

Thanks!

Ok, first of all a question that is probably (very) stupid: is there anything to gain by making chords with drum samples? :)

Last but not least, I know this topic has been discussed before, but how important is it to tune your drum sounds to the key of your song, and/or to the other drum sounds? I mean in the old days with hardware that wasn't very usual ( gear limitations and what not) and still those beat are bangin', so... what's up with that?

Thanks!
Drums and percussion generally do not do chords. As far as tuning drums some people do some people don't but hardware assuming you mean samplers and not actual drum machines is very capable of changing the pitch of a drum sound. All samplers are able to do this usually fairly easily. Keep in mind the original samplers were keyboards and designed with the idea of being the kind of keyboard that say a Fantom for example is and then eventually we got drum machines like the mpc and what not. But yeah they were very much so capable of pitching sounds.

Yeah, like Xabiton said, not sure about chords for drums, but I definitely mess with the tune of the drum sounds to try and make them match. If you go to soundclick.com/sectacide listen to MORFASTA, I tried to make the drums tight on that one.

I third that... I think it's not worth the time especially when using electronic devices.

Back