Recording From TT

J

joe_leigh

Ok at the moment i hvae an oldschool direct drive TT that i wanna sample off im gonna buy a pre-amp but my 2 questions are:
How do i hook all this up and make my pc recognise it and audacity record it?
and, What can i do to improve the sound quality while keeping that vinyl crackle i dont wanna make it sound clinical just give it a good clarity.
Thanks in advance
Joe.

well your pc doesn't need to "recognize" it since it's not any pc related hardware.. (so nothing will be added in the control panel or so)

how to hook this up properly?

well get yourself either a dj mixer with phono ins or, as you mentioned, a phono pre-amp (the important thing here is phono.. you don't want just a regular pre-amp because this won't do the job)

the tt's outputs are then connected to the phono pre-amp, and the phono pre-amp is connected to your soundcards line-in

within windows or audacity you set up the recording input to "line-in" and you should be all set

is there nething i shud do to what i've recorded uther than chop and eq to isolate parts i want to give it a good sound?

well.. define "good" sound..

what is a "good" sound for you, what does it sound like at the moment and what should it sound like?

well i havent actually got my pre-amp yet so i cnt rlly say i shud probably w8 until i have it then come back to this.

yes.. wait until then, and please do me a favor: don't write in slang, because like this some terms are hard for me to understand..

unless, of course, you would want me to reply in german (i'm austrian), then you'd probably know how i feel ;)

ok sorry about that. I'd reply in germna but im sehr sehr bad!

I have my pre-amp and TT connected to my pc i can't see i've done anything wrong and i can get music coming from pc's speakers but i can't make audacity record. could somone please help me.

check that the options in the PC Volume Control Center and make sure that none of the options are muted.

no none off the options are muted and im getting playback audacity jsut won't record.

Inside audacity when i have my recording setting on EDSP Wave C-800 and my turntable is playing there is no playback shown in audacity but there is in my soundcard. What should my settings be for audacity to make it work?

sorry for this really late reply and i hope you have figured it out so far..

it sounds like your recording device is not set up properly (in the recorder settings), therefor you can hear it (because the playing device is set up correctly) but you can't record..

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. no i dont think my recording device is set up properly but i've tried all the options. I think i may try the cheaper version of soundforge and see if that works.

where do i change that? i cant find it
thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
go into the control panel and click on "sounds and audio devices" then "audio"

at "sound recording" click on "volume" and select the proper line

i don't use an english windows, so i can't be 100% sure about the names, but i guess they should be right :)

Back