Record Diggin'

D

Desaveo

What are some hot tips for record digging? I want to get out there and do it, but I don't know what to look for. Are there specific genres of music that lend great samples? For example, if I find an old folk record, aside from most of it being really lame, there might be a one percent chance that I'll find a cool loop or solo instument to sample. And only ONE loop or sample...not 10 or 15... ONE! That seems like an incredible waste of money. How much do you guys usually spend at the record store? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend...but I know that there are always records in the $4.00 range. Can someone give me some guidelines as to a process or something? I know that "there are no rules" but you guys must have some sort of process. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I want to maxamize my samples but minimize my spending. I'll put the work in, but if you guys could help me work smarter, it would be a great help. Thanks.

The thing is....any recoed could have a sample you like. Try hittin the thrift stores (Goodwill...etc) and flea markets, ask uncles, parents grandparents, family friends if they have records....it's out there you just gotta find it.

Theres really no rule . . . you can sample anything it's up to you to turn that sample into a hot beat.

Hit up goodwill, dollar bins, flea market, family, friends, old people that may have records, etc.

First take a look at the cover of the album ( the wierder the better,in my case anyways ) then look at the instruments in the back. If its fits your type of music that you make than grab it. Also records with no vocals are easier to sample ( common sense )

I would give away some record labels to look for but i cant,too much info...:0)

yeah you have to search around everywhere for samples. even if you hear something off a commercial to loungin with your girl at the department store.

the best place to start record diggin is the thrift shop. word.

start from the basics. u know the music u know and love sample that then find out who all participated on the album and waht those people did for other people. For example say u buy Stacy Lattisaw's Perfect Combination. And u really like the bass player on that album. Open the cover and read who played this bass. In this case its Randy Jackson. Now go on google and look up projects with Randy Jackson or something similar and you will find out all kinds of stuff. Or Say you hear a song on the radio and u hear a really dope sample. Find the sample and listen to the rest of the record maybe you will find an artist u like then do the same process there. Digging isnt really discovering its already knowing the direction u wanna go in. I myself like to sample soul but I have a benefit of workin at a oldies radio station part time. So i go there with a pen and pad and play discovery. Anyone I dont know gets played if I like it I write down the album title and artist and go buy the record. And finding 1 sample on a record isnt uncommon. I have bought records that have nothing useable on them whatsoever. I keep some of them around for later and some for listening pleasures kuz it still may be good music but have nothing useful on them.

Back