Really Mad at sampling!!!

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
i'm pissed at sampling in general i know this is a lot of peoples passion and i respect that but who has time to sift though a bunch of music from the 60's 70's 80's which 95% of it is either really crappy music or has been sampled 100,000 times....i just wasted my whole day surfing youtube,blogs,spotify trying to find samples and the one sample i did find that i liked was so out of time i couldn't do anything with it and if i could warp it to fit thats another hour and a half spent and not even sure if it will work....whats the longest time you spent looking for something dope to sample>? do you feel you spend more time listening to music that doesn't interest you and less time actually putting a song together...i dunno maybe just a bad day or i'm missing stuff to sample...which is possible...and i understand that music is endless but i just feel good samples are so hard to come by that it isn't worth the time anymore....anyone else ever feel like this?

Samples is samples, some just do not sound right chopped up into pieces unless used for an entirely different purpose lol.
I listen to mainly videogame/anime music though but an occasional regular track every now and then like those old soul songs in the flip section.

Some samples don't need much and some samples do imo.

I go digging for records (vinyl) so its a lil bit different but after a while it gets easier, your ear will learn to hear "beats" in the music + you will learn to know where to look.

First you should probably ask yourself what you like if you already dont know: is it jazz? is it soul? is it fusion? blues? Secondly you should look at the group itself, if you like open mellow tracks with a minimal feel a 15 man horn-group probably isnt your safest bet. You know where im getting at i guess, but it'll get easier.

I love diggin + the journey of new music is great

Some people just genuinely listen to such a wide variety of music that finding samples isn't incredibly difficult i think

Yea I would like to think I'm well rounded when looking for samples going from soul to fusion rock, African music to Jamaican...a lot of it is I'll pick out a horn stab or a 4 bar loop that sounds like it could be sampled and it's like turning shit to sugar...very naked sounding...and no real melody behind any of my chops I'm sure a more seasoned sampler could kill some of the stuff I have found in the past....

I'd say it all boils down to practice, eventually you will just know what to look for and what to skip and stuff. When I first started looking for samples I had no idea what I was looking for and I'd just find something that sounded cool and try and flip it but it usually wouldnt sound good cos it wasn't suited to hiphop and I probably should've kept looking for something else but at the start it's hard to know what will work and what won't. You just need to keep at it and eventully you'll develop an ear for it. Also it might help looking at the flip this section and seeing what kind of samples people choose to flip.

hahah, the OP post made me giggle a little. I've been there. I personally spend more time listening to random lp's and music in general than making beats.. that's the whole point to me. I love it. If i never started sampling i wouldn't be listening to soul/funk, prog rock, etc these days....

you gotta have a love for it, doesn't need to take long i went through a stack of about 200 records last night in no time and most of them had dope samples on it

It will come with practice and time. I remember you posting something similar awhile back about putting drum rhythms together, HB. Well, your drum programming has improved most likely, right? It takes time. And remember you're working with real music made by real musicians, tempos fluctuate and everyone has their own sense of musical "time." So making samples fit together will take some work and a lot of time listening and watching others do it as well; hang in there.

GJ

Search my store at eBay named Sovietfreestyle. I specialize in digging for grooves and samples from the records available at the ex-USSR countries. A lot of nice stuff for sampling buried here which is completely undiscovered by hip-hop producers.

I was never frustrated while looking for samples, i find something interesting almost every time. You know what though, maybe you just wasn't inspired by the samples you heard on that day, but they would inspire you some other time. This has happened to me, i would go through an album and no samples would grab my attention and then i would go back and listen to them again a week later and end up flipping some of them.

FYI 80s music has some of the best stuff to sample from. Not primarily funk, pop, rock and r&b but synthesized orchestras and sci-fi fantasy type of shyt.

Black Milk and Alchemist have gone through tons of that material.

Yea I would like to think I'm well rounded when looking for samples going from soul to fusion rock, African music to Jamaican...a lot of it is I'll pick out a horn stab or a 4 bar loop that sounds like it could be sampled and it's like turning shit to sugar...very naked sounding...and no real melody behind any of my chops I'm sure a more seasoned sampler could kill some of the stuff I have found in the past....

Whats your sound cloud I'll give your beats a listen.

i get it. You are doing fine. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy listening to new stuff when you are digging. Are you enjoying it? Have a beverage. Make listening its own thing. Post a sample in flip forum I've heard some neat ideas there.

what sample is frustrating you?

man i can understand you....i had a nights where i was searching for good old song for about 2-2,5 hours......and when i found one perfect song, my reaction is WHATAAAAAAAAAAAA F*CK I MUST SAMPLE THIS, I WILL BE THE VERY FIRST WHO FOUND THIS OMGGGGGGG and then just to see if anyone used it....google-> typed 'that song sample' -> DJ PREMIER SAMPLED THAT SONG

i was disapointed in my whole life :((

hah just kidding...but sometimes im very tired of listening and searching the good sample...then theres Flip thread which is very unoriginal way to be a real old school beatmaker, but it doesnt matter....its better than writing 'Soul samples playlist' on youtube..:D

I'm listening a lot to VH1, music program on TV, which is the only channel what im watching on my television...and there you can really see some old good singer/artists for your style of making beats...becouse they play everything there...thats from me..:)

i used to feel this way when i was looking for samples that were dope ..... but then i changed and realized that i should be searching for sounds from the sample to work with ... and then finding sampled became easier ... so my thing is look for sounds that you like to work with

plus you dont have the same groove or the same mind as someone else ... im just saying your take is going to be different than someone elses. you just gotta do your thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only way to find rare records to go out in the world and buy them. once its online its open domain and someone or another has attempted to sample it most likely. Warping is an another art form that you need to practice. Learn patience and good things will happen

I'm a musician who usually plays everything into the DAW. But some of the music I enjoyed from the 90s was drum machines mixed with drum samples with synths overdubbed on top.
I don't blame you, OP. I think sampling has been kind of overdone. There's so many people sharing whack loops that it's hard to find good royalty-free samples. And then there are still some good ones you have to pay for. And then the illegal sampling is just not my thing. I think despite what the "diggers" say, it's still lacks a lot of originality, and like you say takes a lot of work. Maybe it's time for you to learn how to play keyboards... or hire musicians to play like real producers do.

Last edited:
If great samples were of easy access to everybody, then it would make the best of the best not seem so great. My point is, you can go out an search, hours and hours and hours but from what I have found, unless you actually enjoy collecting vinyl and spending afternoons going through them, then you are going to get frustrated. REAL FRUSTRATED, which I am sure sound like a point you are about to reach.

A lot of producers wait untill the song comes to them. I would say just practice using sampling equipment so that when that great sample that you have always wanted comes along, you are ready to get it in the sampler and you are ready to roll!!

Back