a real question about vinyl???

• Thread starter yoyoyo feel bad
  • Start date
Y

yoyoyo feel bad

ok im 18 and i live in the middle of nowhere in ireland.

i have about 200-300 cds (albums and singles)
i was thinking of getting into beatmaking so i wanted to get a cd turntable and a mixer.

i had settled on the numark cdx but have recently become interested in vinyl.

my dad has about 100 pieces on vinyl mostly blues and ish and over the last few days i have become addicted to it. not the music but the actual whole vinyl feel and everything (its kinda hard to explain)

anyway now i dont know what to do, i was now thinking of getting the new gemini hybrid turntable the cdt-05.

now my question is:
i really want to start buying vinyl but there aren't any stores around here that stock it, the only place i can find has had the same LL cool J 12" for the past 6 months.

are there any stores online where i could buy it (preferably a UK based site)

taking into account i am 18 and i will be buying vinyl for the first time, and how hard it will be to get it should i just stick with cds or should i start collecting vinyl now???

(if its anyway help i listen to underground hip-hop, acid jazz, and weird electronic music)

any suggestions are welcome!!

Dude, its not that difficult... you go find some James Brown and Kool & the Gang records and that lights a fire under your ass and then you get Dennis Coffey and Lyn Collins and **** and then you spend the rest of your life hunting down rarities.

Vinyl is fun. Don't worry about buying online, just try to find all your Grandad's friends and take their records too.;)

i think its great that your enjoying vinyl. i also got my dads records from him. and i cant tell how much fun im havin with them, both playing and sampling. However if your getting into beatmaking, you shouldnt limit yourself to vinyl. @ my home studio my mpc is hooked up to sample from a turntable,tape deck, cd, and dvd player. as much as i like the grimey dirty sound sometimes that can come back and haunt you in the final mix

At the end of the day if you want to sample, its best to put yourself in the position to pull from as manymedia as possible. For this reason: sometimes you just kind find ish on vinyl that you can get electronically (mp3), or on CDand vice versa. I do prefer vinyl myself though. Keep it alive young man

I am going to share some advice that a good friend of mine gave me over a decade ago. "Rather than get into vinyl, just start smoking crack. It will be cheaper in the long run."

If I would have only listened to J.......

Vinyl is big, heavy, bulky and just about the most addictive thing this side of crack cocaine. I love it and will always love it. My girlfriend actually gets jealous because whenever I go garage saling (the GREATEST place for digging), I tend to spend a day locked up in my 'studio' listening to all the treasures I found!

Vinyl is great - until you move, then it becomes a massive pain in the back. Imagine carrying a few thousand pieces of your most precious resource up and down several flights of stairs? I know, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but just you wait......:P

Consider yourself warned.....

yoyoyo feel bad said:
ok im 18 and i live in the middle of nowhere in ireland.

i have about 200-300 cds (albums and singles)
i was thinking of getting into beatmaking so i wanted to get a cd turntable and a mixer.

i had settled on the numark cdx but have recently become interested in vinyl.

my dad has about 100 pieces on vinyl mostly blues and ish and over the last few days i have become addicted to it. not the music but the actual whole vinyl feel and everything (its kinda hard to explain)

anyway now i dont know what to do, i was now thinking of getting the new gemini hybrid turntable the cdt-05.

now my question is:
i really want to start buying vinyl but there aren't any stores around here that stock it, the only place i can find has had the same LL cool J 12" for the past 6 months.

are there any stores online where i could buy it (preferably a UK based site)

taking into account i am 18 and i will be buying vinyl for the first time, and how hard it will be to get it should i just stick with cds or should i start collecting vinyl now???

(if its anyway help i listen to underground hip-hop, acid jazz, and weird electronic music)

any suggestions are welcome!!

yeah vinyl is like tattoos, once you get one you want a hell of alot more.:D

Ghowell said:
I am going to share some advice that a good friend of mine gave me over a decade ago. "Rather than get into vinyl, just start smoking crack. It will be cheaper in the long run."

If I would have only listened to J.......

Vinyl is big, heavy, bulky and just about the most addictive thing this side of crack cocaine. I love it and will always love it. My girlfriend actually gets jealous because whenever I go garage saling (the GREATEST place for digging), I tend to spend a day locked up in my 'studio' listening to all the treasures I found!

Vinyl is great - until you move, then it becomes a massive pain in the back. Imagine carrying a few thousand pieces of your most precious resource up and down several flights of stairs? I know, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but just you wait......:P

Consider yourself warned.....

That's real right there.

OLSatG said:

some good online stores here, man. I live in manchester and visit beatin rhythm regularly. If you can get the money together, save up the pennies and take a trip to manc, beatin rhythm is a sight t behold!

cant come out of there wiout pickin up mean 45's the shop is litreally thousands of 45's stacked floor to ceiling, the guys who run it KNOW they stuff too

loads of other good shops in manc too, think vinyl exchange have a website too but best to come down & see it

get to diggin!!

Yeah was vox pop last time i was in manc. Seemed like decent people, only picked out a couple though, and didn't have time to do any more of the 'vinyl valley'. Beatin' Rhythm will be a must for me next time i'm down.

You don't have to have an OCD collection like all the new england white boys do here in the US...Just keep a nice six to ten crates or something and always be selling and buying and archiving your own collections...You can continue to keep it alive without making it burdensome when moving and without burning your wallet every month...

I like to think of my collection as a Bonzai tree...Much attention, and quality kept in a small space, but always growing...Just pruining too...

Back