RCA to S/PDIF

Casbeatz

Producer/Engineer
I have an Mbox 3 standard version, for the time being, and I'm trying to hook up my Audio technica PL60 turntable. My question is, since the turntable has a built in phono amp, can i just connect the RCA's to the S/PDIF inputs on the Mbox? Or do I need some sort of adapter. I would like to know how this will hook up on a studio live unit as well, which will be here next week. Thanks in advance!!!

Update, I get absolutely no sound when hooking the rca's to the spdif on the mbox....I'm assuming this is because rca's are analog, and spdif is digital. So, what's my solution here? An adapter? how can i do this with one cable?

I'm so confused right now..:sigh:

Last edited:
S/pdif is digital, the sound going through needs to be 0s and 1s instead of analog.. There are converters but would be simpler to go the other route. Most likely the converters you got in your mbox are better than low-end analog to s/pdif converters and cables cost less..

Left channel of the RCA cable to channel 1 input and right channel to channel 2 input on your interface (the inputs that are on the front panel). You'll need rca to 1/4" jack adapters or alternatively an rca cable with two jacks on the other end if your turntable's rca is detachable.

ccfc93c46cfbb22a1d1b317883ad2c39_clipped-6e0c9ce74b3d025a1becc9ad6029192a.jpg

1458picture2Upload.jpg

Thanks for the information. So I'm pretty much screwed if I only have 2 inputs? Because, I have a mic hooked up to one of them, so there in only 1 line in available. This is why I mentioned S/PDIF, because that is freed up at the moment. I'm getting studio live here soon, and selling the Mbox, so will this work the same way? Just plug the 1/4 inch jacks into the AUX 1 and 2 channels? I don't know if it makes sense or not, but the turntable has 2 settings, phono and line. Now, which one will I be using with this setup? Because I need the phono amp active, but with it being on phono mode, will it still work properly connected to a line input?

Do you need to have the mic hooked up at all times (seems like the simplest solution to me)? But if you're getting Studio Live anyways, you should be using the inputs, not aux bus. Learn more about auxiliary channels here: Sound Mixer Auxiliary Channels.

No Spdif is for digital 1s and 0s connection. Can you just record the turn table input in first and do the mic recording over dub?

Back