Raising the pitch on soul samples

A

authentikplaya07

I use a lot of soul and i try not to pitch up a sample unless i feel like i cant use it any way else, this is usually hard, i think the chipmunk sound is getting played out my friend who makes beats MUST pitch up a sample whenever he uses it, how do you guys feel about pitch?

Pitched up soul samples has been a mainstay of the mainstream for a few years now and, in my humble opinion, it is getting very old.

i think that it's also played out. Cats like Primo and Rza have been doin it for a minute, but Kanye took it to an extreme, so much that it annoys the fcuk out of me. it used to be dope i did it it some of my old beats but i steer away from it these days

man if anything i pitch my soul samples down and make em creepy, all of you are right, pitching them up is played out and now the chipmunk voice is downright annoying.

true,true kanye burned it straight out...but hey...if it sounds good why not? but if your doing that **** on every track you make....then give it up cause that **** will get annoying.

i speed soul samples up only when i'm chopping them. and even then i use it as an instrument (kinda like sampling vocals, running it through a resonant filter, and using it as a bassline). kanye played it out, but pete rock, premo, kev brown, and a whole slew of other producers use the effect the way it's supposed to be used. anybody can speed up a sample, throw some drums over it, and call it a finished beat!

If its hot its hot...thats all that really matter...people talk about how Kanye played it out but I bet you if some of you all came up with the same beat as Kanye you would be like, "Naw man I flipped it differently"

Anything that people start biting off of starts to get played. At the end of the day if doesn't sound dope then its not, if it does then it is. You gotta rate a track on its own merit, not because it has/hasn't got those obligitory fast pitch lyrics in it or this, that, & the 3rd. I'm not big on not liking something and then hating on everyone else who does. However, If you copy something just because its hot right now and you don't respect the art form, don't even fcuk wit it, B.

It may be 'played out' in mainstream but sh!t, if it sounds good who gives a fcuk!?

I love the high pitched vocal sound and have used it for a lot of my beats cuz it sounds right.

SP

you should only use it if it fits the mood of the track your tryin to make. me i like the sound of the singers' voice the way it is most times.

Now when kanye does it.. it sounds like the chipmunks.. but what about when 9th wonder does it?.. it sounds different.... a lot different... is he maybe slowing the sample down?... i never listened to any of the original songs 9th sampled, so i have nothing to compare it to.

I really don't see any problem with doing it as long as you don't over do it (like the intro to "You Don't Know".) If you do it, at least only do it a couple of notes up, don't go a whole octave up or anything. And especially don't pull no Kanye **** and sample the hook to Chaka Khan or some **** like that.

I think the high pitch samples will be mainstream until somebody comes with the next big thing. Hopefully it will be somebody from this forum!!! But that's just how music is and has been. Sampling like that was Out The Box for a long time, but now it's back in the box because so many producers have mastered that style of beat making. Now that everyone knows how to do it all we try to do is find a sample that noone has used before. music needs another Out The Box style of beats. And I know that's what we're all on here trying to do. Be the next Out The Box producer. Just my 2-cents...

i don't see why you guys get all hung up on pitching samples up. its no big deal. changing the pitch of a sample is just one method in a producer's arsenal that is used to mold the finished product into the artist's vision. if you guys really want to be original you will stop worrying about what pitch your soul samples are and start digging outside soul/funk samples

trebeatz said:
if you guys really want to be original you will stop worrying about what pitch your soul samples are and start digging outside soul/funk samples

I feel you on that. Katz gotta come with something new now and not wait for 9th Wonder or Kanye to do it. We are the "Future Producers" right??

I've sped up a few samples, it's not a key thing I do, but I've done it. It's just a part of production.

I think a lot of people get pissed that they know exactly how to do what Kanye and others do, so when they hear Kanye come out with some sped up sample you get that whole "Dammit, why didn't I sample that?" thing. Hate on Kanye all you want, but he's one of the top producers in the game, and even though the 'chipmunk' (God I hate that term) sound has defined a lot of his beats, almost none of his beats copy off of other beats he's done. I say almost to keep someone from picking out a couple beats I didn't think of. :) Kanye does a lot of pitched up samples, but he's creative about it.

I agree with what some others have already said: If it's a hot beat, then do it. But don't listen to records thinking "Where's a vocal phrase I can pitch up?". Just do it if it sounds good. If you get into the mode where you just look for vocals, you're gonna miss countless other samples. But, don't exclusively look for those countless other samples, just to miss what would be a hot beat if you sped it up.

Generic White Boy said:
I really don't see any problem with doing it as long as you don't over do it (like the intro to "You Don't Know".) If you do it, at least only do it a couple of notes up, don't go a whole octave up or anything. And especially don't pull no Kanye **** and sample the hook to Chaka Khan or some **** like that.

I can't agree with you man...what's with the limitations on what you can do with a sample, I thought music was an art form. IF IT SOUNDS HOT THEN WHO CARES IF IT IS PITCHED UP MORE THAN A COUPLE NOTES OR IF THEY SAMPLE THE HOOK???

Back