Questions on Vinyl Crackle

YoungCrocket

What's up errybody, I've got a quick question on vinyl samples. In particular, i'm referring to vinyl crackle, you know the good stuff lol. Do you think it will be beneficial if your tracks bpm matches the vinyl crackle samples bpm? I know the crackle is basically random glitches (imperfections on the records surface), but is there a discernible pattern to them based on their tempos? And if so, would it help to match the tracks bpm to that of the sample?

Its completely random and organic, I wouldjust let it be. However if you wanted to be creative and chop/loop a crackle sample and use it as percussion that could be cool.

I agree with Noblewordz. The crackle originally was just dust on the record surface ie completely random. It just sounds so good because it brings a top of white noise over everything. You could also just get a section of crackle and loop that up at the same tempo as your beat. That will create a tempo-based pattern for you.

Ya that makes sense, I was thinking faster tempo would = more crackle because I'm stupid and thought the record would be spinning faster or something lol but on further reflection I see the error in my ways haha. If you guys didn't know about it already there is a really good vinyl crackle sample pack (along with some other really good packs) over at 99sounds.org, and they are all free. Anyways, thanks again for the input and take care.

(well most of them are free)

Last edited:
There are a few different VST plug-ins that make vinyl crackle sounds that you can adjust. You can change the era (year) of the record (20,s , 40s, 60s), how much dust is on it, how many scratches and so on. I have a few posted on my website that are 100% freeware. (you have to copy and paste cause Im not allowed to post links yet, my account here is new) go to vcalcavecchia9.wixsite.com/rockin-depth Don't forget the http colon part Good luck ! (Don't worry, no malware 100% safe)

Back