Questions: Sampling and silence

jaevladaniel

Not sure if this is posted under the right topic, but I have a couple of question for you. Or, perhaps, it's rather a couple of topics for discussion and tipping each other off..? Anyways, here goes:

1, SILENCE Hip hop is a LOT about silence, in my opinion. And when I say "silence" I'm talking about total lack of sound and also the "not silent silence", meaning creating an experience of silence by for example radically dropping out one instrument while other sounds are still making noise. Anyway, I think that maybe 50% of what makes a beat really stand out is the use of a lack of sound. So how do y'all work with silence? It might be kind of a funny sounding (no pun intended) question – but I'm asking since I tend to clutter my tracks with a lot of sounds, leaving virtually no room for silence. I'm trying to think of silence as a rhythm instrument of some sort, but I'm not always successful doing that...

2, SAMPLE MULTICULTURALISM When it comes to using samples to make beats, I guess there's a myriad of different techniques – like looping a longer segment of sampled music (unaltered or not), working with one shots ranging from a cut with a one note hit lasting about 1/8 to longer snippets of music etc. But when it comes to creating a "new sample"/snippet of music consisting of a number of different samples – how do you go about to do it? Or in what ways do you do it (because I suppose that there is no reason to discard all other techniques in order to go along with just one)? Do you layer them all on separate tracks, treating every sample like a new instrument? Do you piece various samples together into a new audio file that is then treated as an original sample (if you get what I mean?)? Or..?

That's it for now. Hope you understand where I'm getting with this.

Back