Question on Eqing Samples

TheUnleaded

Hey i'm pretty new to this forum but Ive been studying how to mix for a couple of months or so, but now one thing that i have a problem with above everything else is eqing samples to work into my beats! I usually like making the drums and mixing them out first but whenever i try to mix a sample to work along with the drums...it usually doesn't seem to work well. I know that eqing is a big deal but i haven't been reaching good results whenever i tried using it "correctly" nor "creatively." Could anyone give some tips on what i should be looking for if i wanna mix my samples to work with my drums that are already mixed down? Cuz the linear phase eq technique doesn't really seem to be working for me

Hey i'm pretty new to this forum but Ive been studying how to mix for a couple of months or so, but now one thing that i have a problem with above everything else is eqing samples to work into my beats! I usually like making the drums and mixing them out first but whenever i try to mix a sample to work along with the drums...it usually doesn't seem to work well. I know that eqing is a big deal but i haven't been reaching good results whenever i tried using it "correctly" nor "creatively." Could anyone give some tips on what i should be looking for if i wanna mix my samples to work with my drums that are already mixed down? Cuz the linear phase eq technique doesn't really seem to be working for me

i eq my samples with blue cats triple eq(mono) and they come out clear as hell its a free eq look it up on google heres a video on how to use it

Me personally, I don't use EQ on anything really unless it's say an 808 or some low frequency. I just use filters on samples, high & low pass. If you're throwin EQ's & FX on everything then you need to learn the basics of mixing. & when you do EQ, you wanna boost very little. It's better to cut then boost if you ain't know that already. If you EQ'n all this sh!t, one lil change in somethin else gon throw everything else off especially if it's the master channel. Hands down you're not usin it correctly or else it would sound 'right' or how you want it to sound, which hopefully isn't distorted. And with drums, samples, & sounds you wanna start off with HQ sh!t close to the sound you want so there's lil you have to do. If you gotta do all this to get it to sound how u want or close fuk that sh!t. Idk bruh, sounds like you got alot to learn.. Just research bruh learn from REAL mastering/mixing engineers. There's videos on YouTube.

Thanks James for the link, I'm about to check it out just now! As for knowing how to correctly eq, i know how to use it by cutting off unwanted frequencies so i know how to clear up my drums sounds to the point i can even replicate the drums from professional producers..however the problem is that samples seem to work differently for some reason. I used voxengo curveeq to literally observe the eq done on at least 30 beats. I've noticed some are boosted largely in the high end and some are even eq in ways I wouldn't expect. The thing i don't understand though is "why would these professional producers eq like that" and "how can they tell how to eq their sample to work with their drums if what they do on their samples isn't "corrective" eq?"" My drums sound totally how i would want it to but i just don't have that insight on how i should do so with samples because they seem to have different rules applied to them.

P.S. I checked out the link James, but it just seems to be a normal eq to me lol when you said you use it on your samples, do you mean your drum samples or the samples you use from other records?

Last edited:
Me personally, I don't use EQ on anything really unless it's say an 808 or some low frequency. I just use filters on samples, high & low pass. If you're throwin EQ's & FX on everything then you need to learn the basics of mixing. & when you do EQ, you wanna boost very little. It's better to cut then boost if you ain't know that already. If you EQ'n all this sh!t, one lil change in somethin else gon throw everything else off especially if it's the master channel. Hands down you're not usin it correctly or else it would sound 'right' or how you want it to sound, which hopefully isn't distorted. And with drums, samples, & sounds you wanna start off with HQ sh!t close to the sound you want so there's lil you have to do. If you gotta do all this to get it to sound how u want or close fuk that sh!t. Idk bruh, sounds like you got alot to learn.. Just research bruh learn from REAL mastering/mixing engineers. There's videos on YouTube.

old recordings have a weird panning effect you have to at least convert it to mono

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Thanks James for the link, I'm about to check it out just now! As for knowing how to correctly eq, i know how to use it by cutting off unwanted frequencies so i know how to clear up my drums sounds to the point i can even replicate the drums from professional producers..however the problem is that samples seem to work differently for some reason. I used voxengo curveeq to literally observe the eq done on at least 30 beats. I've noticed some are boosted largely in the high end and some are even eq in ways I wouldn't expect. The thing i don't understand though is "why would these professional producers eq like that" and "how can they tell how to eq their sample to work with their drums if what they do on their samples isn't "corrective" eq?"" My drums sound totally how i would want it to but i just don't have that insight on how i should do so with samples because they seem to have different rules applied to them.

P.S. I checked out the link James, but it just seems to be a normal eq to me lol when you said you use it on your samples, do you mean your drum samples or the samples you use from other records?

i use it on my samples i use from records they have a mono and a stereo version i use the mono version because old recordings have a weird panning effect and i also use wavecandy (if your familiar with flstudio)it tells me where the uneeded frequency is

Hmm so James do you rather prefer to corrective eq your samples other than use it creatively on your samples? If so do you have any sampled tracks that you could use as an example for me if thats cool??

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Hmm so James do you rather prefer to corrective eq your samples other than use it creatively on your samples? If so do you have any sampled tracks that you could use as an example for me if thats cool??

Every beat does not need eq. Ill be totally honest I have made some beats that people thought were amazing and rapped on as is coming from my EPS classic 12 bit sampler when i had it that I didn't mix much besides setting levels at all. Sound selection and setting volumes is key here. If the sounds don't work use different sounds.

u gotta get the tempo down! that and practice. once u get the timing down mixing in your own drums along with the sample should be a lot easier! good luck

HP and LP Filters...These are all you need really in regards to shaping sample sound.
In production there's a lot of options...but it's still true that many times, simpler is just better.

Back