A question for all FP members....

Finding Breaks... or ...Ordering cd's....

• Chop breaks

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • CD/kit/vst sounds

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

ReallyReal7

I guess this is where this thread would go....

Question: how many of you use sample sounds from breaks you've chopped/cleaned/watever.... versus.....how many of you buy/download kits and sample cd's or have vst's/programs for drums....

Just curious.... because I just started realizing some of the benefits of getting drums from breaks....

I like to sample breaks off other songs, but I wouldn't mind hiring a drummer to play a bunch of breaks recorded onto CD and pay him for it. Sometimes VST drums are ok but they sound too robotic to me.

I build my drums from scratch everytime. i've used breaks and kits like once or twice. i just like for each song to have it's own drum pattern and not use the same ones over and over. but thats just me.

Last edited:
I like choppin' breaks in songs myself b/c it leaves u wit way more to work with...but at the same time there is nuthin' like dropin' 100's of sounds in my folder from sample cd's...im confused:confused:.lol

Charlee_Hess said:
I build my drums from scratch everytime. i've used breaks and kits like once or twice. i just like for each song to have it's own drum pattern and not use the same ones over and over. but thats just me.
Yeah I always create my own patterns but they'll come from chopped breaks of individual drum hits on sample CDs. I've only ever used a drum loop with layered samples on top.

I do both I dont buy cd's or nothing i build drums off other drums, or i sue my keyboards... I use vsti's and I use my keyboards...

Albums are cool but you can really make a whole lotta money off sampling. Look at kanye..

ive never used a sample cd, but i like to sample breaks and cut them up into kits,or layer more on top of thr break...or if im using a kit i usually layer a few kiks and snares on top of one another

but str8 up ill take a drum hit or break from anywhere i can find it( filter and compress and eq it) that way i know aint nobody got that drum.

i heard there are some pretty grimey drums on some a those sample cds...doesnt matter where they come from,jus how u make em sound...ive made a beat with drums sampled from a highschool kid playing a solo in band(off tv)

peace

On a really bright note I just found the dopest break I've ever found in my life...(so far) It puts all the other hundred of thousands of breaks I have to utter shame....

Hit me up if u want to know what it is... (if i even feel like telling...)

I'm going to go chop this up and use it on everything lmao

I get drums from everywhere. Breaks and a lot of drum hits from my wax, breaks from Cd's, free online kits, drum kit CD's...I even found a couple sites with a bunch of free downloadable breaks on them. 95% of the time I just use the **** from my records but the other stuff comes in handy. One limit I've set is to never straight jack a break from the net or CD's. Those have to be chopped into hits.

for breaks i feel like i'm cheating if i use one from a kit, but i feel accomplished if i find one from an oldschool song.
but 90% of my shi i do the drums myself.

Back