Question about tempo and pitchshifting

OrhanGizzle

Isn't it correct that most producers back in the days with the equipment they had, shifted the pitch and the tempo of sample at the same time? As in go in higher in pitch when speeding up samples and vice verca?

I think it's a nice way to do it, it sounds natural that the sample end up in the pitch it does, and I'm actually thinking about investing in a Maschine MK1 instead of MK2, because the MK1 works like that, no?

Peace

page 284 of the maschine mk I manual says that time stretching and pitch shifting are independent of each other

your original statement holds true if you were creating one-shot samples and using tape (lots of reel-to-reel machines could give you the octave and double octave, as well as a finer gradation of pitch to about +/- 15%, roughly up or down a minor 3rd), to achieve the shift in pitch, the time would shorten or lengthen in the same direction as the pitch movement

however, when the digital samplers such as the Akai S900 came along, you could change pitch without changing length by using loop points to ensure that the sample lasted for as long as the note was held on the triggering keyboard: length was no longer prisoner to pitch: even though the initial pitch change would shorten the onset of the notes, the loop portion of the sample (sustain portion) would ensure that only the beginning and end of the note changed duration

Last edited:
Any DAW can do that, not very familiar with maschine, but i think both Mk1+Mk2 should be able to do it.

Back