Question about Sampling/noise removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

useruser1237

Hi. I'm been interested in getting into sampling things, but I've been relatively unsucessful with extracting a specific part of a song like drums, vocals, etc. I'm going by the assumption that not every sample has used the entire spectrum of the piece, but I could be wrong about that. So basically what I'm asking is, do you know any tips or effective ways of removing certain levels of a song?

Thanks.

really, Not at all possible? Not even when people do stuff like mash-ups or sample like 6 different songs at once?

I was thinking that you could do something like a noise gate, and find the frequency(or hertz or whatever) that the thing you want to take out occurs and take it out. Of course it'd be possible to lose other parts in that process. Or you could do something like push it enough into the background and flesh out the part you want so that it's all you hear. But I don't know much about this stuff.

nope most people use the entire chop, or have a live band cover it

Live band eh? Does anyone know if there's a way to find the notes to a song then? Without sheet music or doing it by ear, like by using technology.

Not directly to the poster of this topic. But can we have a sticky about this. People Ask this every week.

Dr. Dre has made a career outta having musicians just replay a dam sample exactly how it's heard on the record, but with elements removed and separated. When you listen to songs like Lil Ghetto Boy, It's Funky Enough, Firm Fiasco and California Love remix it's an example of how to get better separation out of a sample, by taking out a part you don't want and just having each instrument replayed and re-composed. Just listen to Foster Sylver's Misdemeanor, it's a good example.

I heard Hank Shocklee speak in an interview about the sound design capabilities of DAWs today, he explained that you can re-create almost anything as long as you understand the aspects of how the original sample was recorded. If you go into the virtual instruments and plug ins, many of the instruments and effects are there as software emulations for you to use such as Moog and Rhodes keyboards. It depends on the ear behind the software and music to re-create the sample accurately enough.

Dr. Dre has made a career outta having musicians just replay a dam sample exactly how it's heard on the record, but with elements removed and separated. When you listen to songs like Lil Ghetto Boy, It's Funky Enough, Firm Fiasco and California Love remix it's an example of how to get better separation out of a sample, by taking out a part you don't want and just having each instrument replayed and re-composed. Just listen to Foster Sylver's Misdemeanor, it's a good example.

I heard Hank Shocklee speak in an interview about the sound design capabilities of DAWs today, he explained that you can re-create almost anything as long as you understand the aspects of how the original sample was recorded. If you go into the virtual instruments and plug ins, many of the instruments and effects are there as software emulations for you to use such as Moog and Rhodes keyboards. It depends on the ear behind the software and music to re-create the sample accurately enough.
just to add to this point its really more of a southern cali sound based on a band element. Some cats sample for that style too but just about every producer you know from that area's sound is based off of interpolating samples rather than just sampling them off wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back