question about sampling and chopping manually

frankmilton

do you guys sample perfect 2 bar or 4 bar loops?
or do you guys sample a melody that you like, which isn't a perfect bar-length, and then chop up that?
i have been looping and using auto chop function on maschine, but i want to learn how to chop manually.
when i try to chop manually, i end up with what sounds like one shot pieces and then i have no idea how to fit them into bars as they're all different lengths.
please give me some advice.

I always attempt a perfect bar loop (beit 1,2,4 or often 8bar) at the very least the beat (if there is one in the sample will loop perfectly, if not the rest of the sample's instrumentation.

Have you investigated 'choke groups' in Maschine?
I find creating choke groups critical in flipping a chopped sample myself.

Also, in the autochop (slice) feature on Maschine - you can adjust the sensitivity- so there are options on the chops that we gifted you...

but again... Choke groups.

All of my stop are one stop and I fit the samples into a loop. No time-stretching. Playing and understanding timing of your samples is key. It's also really dependent on how you like to sample as well. I have a friend who likes to chop an entire melody of a sample, determine its tempo, then fit the melody to its tempo in the sequencer and work that way. Never knew any other way other than chopping manually and playing my samples like MIDI instruments.

I always attempt a perfect bar loop (beit 1,2,4 or often 8bar) at the very least the beat (if there is one in the sample will loop perfectly, if not the rest of the sample's instrumentation.

Have you investigated 'choke groups' in Maschine?
I find creating choke groups critical in flipping a chopped sample myself.

Also, in the autochop (slice) feature on Maschine - you can adjust the sensitivity- so there are options on the chops that we gifted you...

but again... Choke groups.

Oh wow this choke group must be very important. I will definately look into it.

Back