Question about sampling?

XerobX

Hey I'm 19 and I always dabbled with music when I was younger and put out a few non official mixtape of me rapping but when I get out of college I want to get more serious and use my degree as a backup plan but I'm not a trap artist and I feel more comfortable rapping on sampled beats because they feel more natural to me, but the legal issue is a mess and I'm not rolling in cash and I'm bout independent as it gets so I just want to get some knowledge of how the game works. Like how did someone like j.Cole who samples nearly if not every song his vocals ever touched and not get sued? Especially early on back when he was in college or just got out. I would love to sample, but I feel like I'll get sued and end up in prison sampling a song for a free mixtape on datpiff or something. Should this be an issue for me or am I just making this up in my head?

If whoever you sample has a problem with it then maybe but if not nope. But since you're one of them rappin fellas it'd be best to get permission or just make beats :/
There's fair use things like sampling for educational purposes, satire etc.

That's one thing I don't get though why do most rappers not want to make beats or sample or do synthesis or sound design which is both, but hey maybe it's one of those things.

Back