Question about samples and acquiring samples. (Not Vinyl)

bengals1fan

I was watching a video where producer Boi-1da was remaking or showing how he made Drake's hit "Over" and he said that he got the sample from someone who had made it and sent it to him. Flashback even further to a more popular Hit-Boy video where he was also going through samples that were made by another person who was giving them to Hit-Boy. Fast-foreward back to today, I saw Boi-1da talking to WondaGirl (Jay-Z Production - Magna Carta Holy Grail) on twitter and I checked WondaGirl's account and she too was talking to someone about sending over some samples.

My question basically is, who are these unwritten and uncredited sample makers? Is there a name for them? Does anyone here do this? I'm so curious to find one of these people and start making great music. Thanks FP!

This has been going on since the 80's.
Producers use "sample finders" to locate songs for them to sample.
I'm sure there has to be some sort of fee involved or something on the back end as far as points.
It's nothing new though.

Peace

Link up with someone who plays keys and have them record some riffs/melodys/chord progressions for you and build off that

u can try hook with the "sample diggers". Look on youtube/facebook "Vinyle Archeologie". Great rare music of any kind from great people to sample/listen/love!

yea what happens is that there are people who are good at particular instruments so when a producer is working on a beat he will ask (lets say a guitarist) to lay down some riffs or something so that the artist can use it in the beat. If you listen to J coles Born Sinner youll notice there are A LOT of instruments such as guitars, pianos, strings, playing along with the sample that he chose. J cole has many people that lay down stuff for him though if you buy his album and look at the booklet youll see a bunch of names and the instruments they play in whatever song it is. you should probably hit up craigslists if u want to find people who are good at doing this but yea its complicated

yea what happens is that there are people who are good at particular instruments so when a producer is working on a beat he will ask (lets say a guitarist) to lay down some riffs or something so that the artist can use it in the beat. If you listen to J coles Born Sinner youll notice there are A LOT of instruments such as guitars, pianos, strings, playing along with the sample that he chose. J cole has many people that lay down stuff for him though if you buy his album and look at the booklet youll see a bunch of names and the instruments they play in whatever song it is. you should probably hit up craigslists if u want to find people who are good at doing this but yea its complicated

Huh?
That has nothing to do with people who dig for samples for producers.
Even if it did almost EVERY producer nowadays lays some sort of instrumentation on their sample.But since a lot of cats don't have the money to pay artist,they just use vsti's and do it themselves.

Peace

I was watching a video where producer Boi-1da was remaking or showing how he made Drake's hit "Over" and he said that he got the sample from someone who had made it and sent it to him. Flashback even further to a more popular Hit-Boy video where he was also going through samples that were made by another person who was giving them to Hit-Boy. Fast-foreward back to today, I saw Boi-1da talking to WondaGirl (Jay-Z Production - Magna Carta Holy Grail) on twitter and I checked WondaGirl's account and she too was talking to someone about sending over some samples.

My question basically is, who are these unwritten and uncredited sample makers? Is there a name for them? Does anyone here do this? I'm so curious to find one of these people and start making great music. Thanks FP!

Producers establish relationships with different people. It's really about people skills. Some people may suggest a certain record to sample and if the producer likes it a relationship may be established where people send them different samples. 9th wonder says he's too busy to dig for samples anymore and he has a few people that send him samples. One guy was a older white guy who owned a record store in Philly. He had a great ear and he wasnte even a hip hop producer. It's a lot harder for an unknown producer to have these type of relatioonships because there has to be an incentive for them. I saw Drake in a video where he was in a sample listening session with the Justus League. Sometimes producers get someone to replay it.

Last edited:
I've never actually heard about this. It's cool you were able to notice that trend with all these super producers. It makes sense but it takes a vigilant person to notice that's dope

Na i mean there may be outlets for that (sites that u pay)...
But like someone said above its about getting those relationships together yourself...
Talking to a guy from japan u met on niketalk who's into records also...
Or even buying from someone on ebay/craigslist that u can talk to n see...
The internet is a big place...

Not sure about any situation discussed other than Drake's "Over". They had a real orchestra play out stuff, then they sampled from the tunes they had. DJ Khalil did the same thing to make "kinda like a big deal" for Clipse. If you don't have artists on call who play live, you can achieve the same using royalty free loops or songs. It gives you the sound of sampling without the dice roll of clearance.

Can't find the vid for "Over, but here's Khalil explaining.

Back