Question about sample pitches

dominic94

I got a little bit complicated question, but I hope you will understand it, because it is hard to explain it in english. When I import a sample to my DAW (Fl Studio), does not even matter what it is, a drum sample, my recorded voice or something like that. And then I open it on piano roll it always go on C note. And my question is if i would change the pitch for example from C to D on piano roll, does it will make the sample to be a D pitch ? Because it does not even matter you could import a sampled D note from a piano and open it on a piano roll on your DAW and it will always show the default note as a C, but the actual pitch of the sample is D. I mean when you always open your sample on a piano roll the sample stays the original pitch, but it always show you that it is on a C note, so if I would move it to D or whatever it will change the sample to that exact pitch what I moved to ?

Thanks.

FL uses C3 as the root note for samples apparently, if you put it on C#, it would mean that the sample has been pitched up 1 semitone, if it would be D, it would be 2 semitones etc etc...

Last edited:
Here is something that might help you, if you know that the sample you are importing is in the pitch of D and then you want to set it so fl studio knows that this is what you do. Click on the channel (I think that's what it is called) for the sound you just imported then the window comes up that has the sound wave at the bottom, in that window click on the 'ins' tab then the waveform will go away and be replaced with piano keys. Now right click on the D note on that keyboard that comes up and now FL studio will know that that sample is at pitch D. So you can play C on your MIDI controller and it will actually be in the key of C.

Also, if you dont know what note the sample is, edison has a pitch detection feature which you can find by clicking on the region button in edison, once you have clicked on that a drop down menu will come up and you can select 'detect pitch regions' and it will tell you what notes are being played in the sample.

Back