Question about how you guys organize your samples

jwillmatic

Hey guys so I was watching some Just Blaze interviews and he was talking about how he always lays out his samples in his head before he makes his beats. I've been trying to do that but I find that really difficult so my question is; do you guys do this? and if so how much practice did it take before you became good at it?

Hmm.. I think the thread title asks a different question than what Just Blaze is talking about. He means that rather than just spamming chops and see what comes out he has a clear goal before starting and knows "im gonna do this chop, then this, and then ima do bla bla bla".

Well after a while you just learn what stuff works and what stuff you like. In the begining you're just gonna be wandering aimelessly into the crates and trying different stuff and a lot of it wont work out, but some will. Doing this for X amount of hours and you'll learn how hear whats gonna and not.

Long story short - make beats and listen to a lot of music and you'll be good.

Hmm.. I think the thread title asks a different question than what Just Blaze is talking about. He means that rather than just spamming chops and see what comes out he has a clear goal before starting and knows "im gonna do this chop, then this, and then ima do bla bla bla".

Well after a while you just learn what stuff works and what stuff you like. In the begining you're just gonna be wandering aimelessly into the crates and trying different stuff and a lot of it wont work out, but some will. Doing this for X amount of hours and you'll learn how hear whats gonna and not.

Long story short - make beats and listen to a lot of music and you'll be good.

Exactly.

OP, have you heard something that just caught your ear? Let's say you're watching a movie and a song comes on, or even at the supermarket and they're playing something in the background. You might start thinking about what part you would use, how you'd program your drums (beatboxing to yourself... LOL), what else you might end (bass line, additional elements, etc). If you have... try to transfer that same line of thinking to when you're listening to songs with the intention of sampling them.

Quite a few of my " a ha! " moments come to me while I'm watching children's shows with my daughter. They'll play something dope on the show and I automatically start sampling it in my head...

An example...

Just keep at it and you'll develop the ear for the sounds that you like.

I lay the drums down first then play the samples til i hear sumthing thats sounds good and build upon that

sometimes i have spotify on shuffle and when i stumble upon an intro of a song that i like, or a break that i like, i save the song and write down what i like about it (i carry a little moleskine booklet on me just related to music stuff. there i write down what idea popped into my head, otherwise i forget it)

later on i extract the sample and play it on loop, start browsing my drum samples and just go from there.
i need to let the sample "sink in" e.g. playing it back a lot of times before a clear vision shows up.
i found that a chopping it up and than playing it back over a keyboard or drumpad can also give you new inputs.

remember; don't wait for inspiration to happen, it comes while working

Back