Proper way to sample?

TholomewP

What is the proper way to sample something? I have FL Studio 8 (if there are any better sampling programs, let me know) and what I do is isolate however many bars in Edison, stretch it to that many bars in the beat sequencer and repeat it. But then it's hard to incorporate other samples in. So I've tried matching up the tempo, but this is the most frustrating thing imaginable for me. I can NEVER get it 100%.

yo i started off on software making beats. that's cool. logic you can slice samples easy i think but i just never enjoyed it.
i really enjoy sampling on the mpc. it's a different work flow yes... but the tangible feels you get to your samples are beyond what software can do. try it at guitar center.

I want an Mpc! Should I get an MPD? I have the akai mpk49 but just use the keys. For the topic there is no wrong way to sample, by 2 bars, 4 bars, 8 bars, etc. To just on the down beats or whatever. It's your sample and imagination that makes it yours!

You should probably research sampling techniques and watch videos of sample style beats on YouTube. There is no proper way to do things but it is handy to see how beat makers do certain things. I like to chop my samples on beat and assign them to pads, sometimes (if the sample will allow it) I will chop to transients and play more of a melody with it.

There are proper ways of doing things, for example a real loop must be cut to a precise length in relation to tempo or it will drift out of synchronization and in the absence of correct editing the practice of constantly triggering a one shot sample so it sounds like a loop became so common that the term loop is often applied to it.

What I do is cut what sample I want out of edison save that file as a wav after I have found bpm of the sample then I adjust the tempo to the sample I'm working with.

If it's a loop cut it at 4 beats, 8 beats, or 16 beats and then drag it into fl from Edison as a channel then click to open its settings. Go to time stretch right click on the time knob and just select how man bars you want it to to be stretched over IE, * beats would be stretched over two bars.

Just like making a proper loop understanding the relationship between tempo and length is the key to good time stretching because there is absolutely nothing at all preventing you from adding compound errors to a stretch by staring out with an incorrect BPM/length and thinking it's normal to have beats that no longer line up properly with MIDI tracks.

I have learned more off of youtube tutorials than anything else. Remember there are no rules, just hard work and patience.

Yeah man, I had the same issue when it came to sampling. It just took some practice and also understanding tempo, bars and note values.

I'm right there with you on sample timing, it takes some work to get correct. I like Kontakt 5 for workflow. I have never used an MPC, but Kontakt is making things a little more straight forward.

MASCHINE ALL DAY EVERY DAY love the quick chopping patten making. beast. i used to have mpd and ableton really cool daw.
now i just use maschine to do all chopping samples

Back