Processing Your Sample

de1o

Been sampling a lot more than I used to recently, and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to make their samples sound a bit cleaner, and sit a little nicer in their mix. I've been digging mostly on youtube, and use a generic youtube-mp3 downloader to grab what I want to sample. This of course gives me a shitty bit rate mp3 file which is not the best to work with out of the gate. I typically cut some lows, add a bit of reverb, then gel it with some light compression. If anyone has any other methods they'd like to share, let me know. Any response is appreciated!

EQ. Compression. LP/HP filters, reverb. My absolute most used tools.

As for 'cleaner'... Dirty in - dirty out dude.

Yeah im not sure about making a sample cleaner.. but i think you'd like to make it warmer, drive through a pre-amp plug.. It ccertainly makes the sample a bit more interesting.. also if u want some general mixing info.. id suggest sidechaining drums to sample.. in alot of lofi shit i hear this is done pretty extremely, as more of an aesthetic choice now.. I kind of like the sound tbh. But yeah man .. as the above said.. theres no magic goin on really.. just use reference mixes too, so u aspire to make a mix like this certain song or whatever etc. Keep grinding man

OUTSS.

Try being crazy enough and load your sample in iZotope RX4. You'll be able to do magic man!

It's like photoshopping frequencies.

Back