Processing Drums lifted from soul/funk records

ssyniu

Hi
I am looking for advice in engineering aspect of creating hip hop hard hitting drums.
I have raw samples lifted from old soul/funk songs.
If you have any tips for me that would be grate.
How do you process process this samples to give them that hip hop knock and distortion or maybe you don't distort any advice as detail as possible would help.
I am curious how you are doing this in digital workstation and I am also even more curious how this was done back in the days using analog gear.
I presume EQ,Compression(parallel) has a lot to do in this matter but what else could you advise me to try to have this drums knocking,and how to properly EQ and compress to have best drums e.g..I am using Logics compressor and I am using circuit type platinum ,treshold all depends but not more than -15db(but this varies i like to compress peaks only)attack short(kick drum) ,release short (kick drum),ratio 2.5:1 knee 0.
With equaliser I tend to remove low frequencies when dealing with open or closed high hat same with snare cut under 200 hz and so on.
Would you be able to help me and give me some pro advice how do you approach this task.

Hi
I am looking for advice in engineering aspect of creating hip hop hard hitting drums.
I have raw samples lifted from old soul/funk songs.
If you have any tips for me that would be grate.
How do you process process this samples to give them that hip hop knock and distortion or maybe you don't distort any advice as detail as possible would help.
I am curious how you are doing this in digital workstation and I am also even more curious how this was done back in the days using analog gear.
I presume EQ,Compression(parallel) has a lot to do in this matter but what else could you advise me to try to have this drums knocking,and how to properly EQ and compress to have best drums e.g..I am using Logics compressor and I am using circuit type platinum ,treshold all depends but not more than -15db(but this varies i like to compress peaks only)attack short(kick drum) ,release short (kick drum),ratio 2.5:1 knee 0.
With equaliser I tend to remove low frequencies when dealing with open or closed high hat same with snare cut under 200 hz and so on.
Would you be able to help me and give me some pro advice how do you approach this task.

The most efficient way I've found to do this is by taking the sampled drum sounds and stacking it with sound that complements it from a sound pack. I usually have to do a little dipping in the EQ of the sampled sound, but that's about it. There's only so much you can pull out of the sampled sound through processing. Stacking is what gives it the impact you need.

Back