Possible to have a "clean" sample?

nervecell

I've spent hours trying to EQ a sample just right to isolate a sound like strings or something but theres always that faint drum or other instruments that are still there no matter how much i EQ.

Is it possible to completely isolate a sound of a sample that has more than one instrument playing?

Not really, no. Technology may get better at doing it but you can't escape the air it was born in, once it's mixed, the unmixed signal doesn't exist, no matter how much you pick at it.

But there are loads of isolated sounds on records and if you mess around with some start and end points, a bit of reverb and some layering and blending you can make something of a one shot.

Look for records with long suites rather than straight up 3 minute jams where it's likely to be tight and with less dynamic range.

youll never beable to eq out everything. over time youll learn 'masking' techniques.

you could always replay it as stated......maybe you could try out a vst called melodyne? it might help.

Unless you have the multi-track session (I know Jake One samples from multi-track sessions), the short answer is "no."

Back