Pitching Drums down (No church in the wild)

crimsonhawk47

No Church in the Wild - Jay Z and Kanye West feat. Frank Ocean | WhoSampled

So I've been listening to this track and realized I really don't know how to get the drums to sound as clean as they do on this track. The actual sample of the instruments is straightforward enough, but when I pitch the drums down they don't seem to have the same thump as this track.

Do they back it with other drum samples? Or does constantly shifting it down by a semitone mess up the audio as opposed to shifting it down by the right amount, right away? Or is it an eq job? Or maybe what I'm really hearing is crappy drums backed up by bass.

Also, how the hell do they get that James Brown sample to sound so clean? I really hear none of the other instruments when that sample comes in.

I really don't pitch shift that much so any answers that may seem obvious to you probably aren't to me.

man don't stress yourself first off definitely put some new drums on, do not use the pitched down ones from the sample.

use an eq to low cut the sample and take the bass out the pitched down drums this will give space to add your own drums after.

once you got your own drums you are happy with bus them out to a short reverb and add a very subtle hint of reverb to your drums, low cut the bus with the reverb also as bass and reverb sound like shit.

also never try and replicate how big names sound. they almost certainly have access to the label i.e. sony/universals back catalog of original masters including james brown and therefore producers probably are using the original james brown acapella to get it so clean. this is just a guess but I have noticed various tracks that are to clean to simply rip a sample of the net

man don't stress yourself first off definitely put some new drums on, do not use the pitched down ones from the sample.

use an eq to low cut the sample and take the bass out the pitched down drums this will give space to add your own drums after.

once you got your own drums you are happy with bus them out to a short reverb and add a very subtle hint of reverb to your drums, low cut the bus with the reverb also as bass and reverb sound like shit.

also never try and replicate how big names sound. they almost certainly have access to the label i.e. sony/universals back catalog of original masters including james brown and therefore producers probably are using the original james brown acapella to get it so clean. this is just a guess but I have noticed various tracks that are to clean to simply rip a sample of the net

They may have a James Brown acapella

Though it's a drum break. If you listen to the sample there's no other instruments involved (at least not that they sampled) so why would I low cut it?

My guess with the drums is that originally the beat had the sample's drums as is (no pitch shifting) and then they wanted more power in them so they interpolated them (Replicated the sample but made it heavier hitting). That's just my guess though.

Back