Pete Rock Showing Off his record collection

i wonder where Pete Rock got all his knowledge for making beats from back in the days. i mean today we can learn everything from the internet.
There must have been books about producing and sampling in the past.

i wonder where Pete Rock got all his knowledge for making beats from back in the days. i mean today we can learn everything from the internet.
There must have been books about producing and sampling in the past.
not back then. At that time sampling was still really new and it was mostly about emulating instruments so that you did not have to take 5 keyboards on the road on stage with you. There was no tutorials and everyone did it differently through trial and error there was no standard vs today where its all about standards. It also helps that if you did the things that most producers today do like attempt to sound like someone else or find someone else's sounds ect you would have been looked down upon by pretty much everyone and called a biter.

not back then. At that time sampling was still really new and it was mostly about emulating instruments so that you did not have to take 5 keyboards on the road on stage with you. There was no tutorials and everyone did it differently through trial and error there was no standard vs today where its all about standards. It also helps that if you did the things that most producers today do like attempt to sound like someone else or find someone else's sounds ect you would have been looked down upon by pretty much everyone and called a biter.

yeah, but there where magazines like The Source where they had producer interviews and such i think. sharing knowledge through magazines.

yeah, but there where magazines like The Source where they had producer interviews and such i think. sharing knowledge through magazines.
the mags were there but they weren't teaching you how to make beats. Scratch is the first magazine I ever seen with a how to make beats article. Sharing the knowledge was passed to you if you had a friend who made beats perhaps but not given in mass like it is today.

the mags were there but they weren't teaching you how to make beats. Scratch is the first magazine I ever seen with a how to make beats article. Sharing the knowledge was passed to you if you had a friend who made beats perhaps but not given in mass like it is today.

no off course, people where basically reading the manuals of they machine back than.
But Source def had producer interviews with tips in it sometimes and such. but you basically learned it all from the manual of your machine back than.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

there where articles about DJ-ing, Sampling in the source etc.

Back then, we learned from reading the manuals for the equipment and trial and error. There were no tutorials, how to's, tips and tricks etc....... You bought whatever equipment you could afford and you learned how to make it do what you needed it to do. There was no "must have standard" of equipment. Some used sp's, mpc's, w-30's, emulator's, s900's, s950's, ddd1's, mirages's, samplers off of dj mixers triggered by hand in realtime, looping raw breaks by hand using two turntables, and even cassette decks (pause buttons). There weren't how to articles because everyone had different means to get their desired results. Peace be with you...................Rob Mixx

I'm pree sure Pete learned a lot from his dad about music theory and whatnot, he says so in that famous interview where he's showing off an MPC

Back