people talkin that ish

hip hop was started with sampling. it was a broken beat looped. but that doesn't mean that you have to sample to be hip hop. this ****'s evolved enuff so that people dont need to sample to make it now.
both ways of making hip hop are tight, there is no "right" way to make hip hop. fresh is fresh. and for me its not that much harder to make a melody from scratch or a loop from scratch than it is to sample.
ever sample yourself? make your own loop and make it sound like a sample track? that **** is tight. **** that.........hip hop is tight. make it how you can..................

and stop the blood clot hatin!!!!

BUT THIS IS WHY SAMPLE BASED PRODUCERS AND i assume all of us un this thread do countless sample digs with records or cds & (*PROBABLY SOME OR ALL OF US TRY TO KEEP THE TRADE A SECRET CUZ THE LITTLE KID WITH A FISHER-PRICE MY FIRST SONY AND SOME DUB EQUIPMENT THINKS HE'S SAMPLING ON HIS COMPUTER on fl studio when he took the 1st 2 bars off the OJAYS ALBUM BACKSTABBERS this is retarded...and are getting away with it until royalty time and time for the sampled artist who says pay me my money lil pants hangin off ya as* n*ggaz where;s my soc security check c.) Isley Bros.& royalties and the dude who used the record w/o the 1st 4-8 bars and did it in a unrecognizeable way or replayed it and then made it sound like a sample c.) The ROOTS & HI-TEK ARE KIND OF blasted for it. CHOPPING it up and freaking with it is the best way....plus dudes keep saying this sampling thing is just an 2006 trend that will be out by the years end.....ha!

Last edited:
Keep the trade a secret? Who are you? What is this, some mysterious wizardry now? You're so important that you, but nobody else, can know how to sample? What a huge secret, to hook a turntable up to a sampler, press record, and then chop it.... we better not let anybody know

i dont know about you, but when i sample i do alot more than that. maybe thats why you think its so easy. cuz your slacking when you do it

I think if you sample all the time it shows lack of originality,I mean when you use vocals or a bassline that is noticable.Not when you chop it up and then make individaul sounds.When I become a producer I'm going to sample a quater of the time (noticable things) and original stuff the rest of the time chopped drums etc. and keyboard or other non-sampling devices.I hope I explained that well.....:o

the only way i think it remotely shows lack of originality is when it's strait looped. but when you make a song with a sample that doesn't even sound like the song you sampled it from, thats originality

I said it once before and i'll say it again. Sampling will ALWAYS be a part of hip hop because that's how it got started. There were no composing producers of hip hop when it first got started. It was MC's rapping over looped break beats. So it's silly to diss sampling. Now if you're talking about sampling methods, then that's a different story but Even if you're talking about chopping up a sample ,what most people don't realize is that it still ends up being a loop! Take any premier or 9th wonder instrumental you know and you can still pick out of 8 bars of the beat that is continuous. Rapping is nothing more than rhyming over a series of loops. That's how rhythm is kept. Read your history and you'll know i'm right.

Mako said:
I said it once before and i'll say it again. Sampling will ALWAYS be a part of hip hop because that's how it got started. There were no composing producers of hip hop when it first got started. It was MC's rapping over looped break beats. So it's silly to diss sampling. Now if you're talking about sampling methods, then that's a different story but Even if you're talking about chopping up a sample ,what most people don't realize is that it still ends up being a loop! Take any premier or 9th wonder instrumental you know and you can still pick out of 8 bars of the beat that is continuous. Rapping is nothing more than rhyming over a series of loops. That's how rhythm is kept. Read your history and you'll know i'm right.
i like how u think GET LOOPY B!TCHES!

Back