Panning Sample Duplicates

S_K

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this.
Anyways, I have an idea that I thought I would share. The idea is taking a sample and duplicating it. The sample will be panned on the left or right side, while the duplicate panned on the other side. Now here is where things get interesting. This almost works like a wet/dry sort of deal. Basically you put effects on either the duplicate or the original and leave the other one dry. Or you could even put different effect on the left side and the right side. I haven't experimented with it yet, but I'll share something on this thread when I do get to it

If anyone uses this technique share your experiences and provide a sample of your results.

Thanks for reading!

common enough process

adding a short delay (<50ms) completely wet to one side emulates the localisation cues we would expect in small rooms or as the hallmark of the so-called Haas effect

Last edited:
it is tough question to answer as every situation is different

I created some combinator patches in reason to do this with a fully pannable version of the above approach where the left and right signals could be panned to opposite sides with a single knob twist - i.e. one knob would set the position of the signal within the stereo field with the delayed signal at its mirror opposite.

A more complex combinator let me set the panning of both sides independently and set the signal level of the delay anywhere from 0dB to -30dB (I deliberately did not allow it to be set greater than unity gain as I did not want to end up having the delayed signal causing a misconception of the position of the overall signal - Haas's research showed that people would increase the level of the delayed channel by about 10dB compared to the point source to make the sound seem to be equal in both channels of a stereo system.

I later created a further variation allowing the level of the delayed signal to be increased by 10dB (about 3.16 times as loud as the other channel): the original signal is panned either hard left or right and the delayed signal is panned to the mirror opposite position, as the level is increased the signal stereo position becomes smeared and seems to move to the center

happy to share the combinators (from reason 4 but that is no problem for alter versions to load)

Back