Online Rhythm Roulette

factor4e

TACTICAL FACTOR
Is anyone or has anyone run a rhythm roulette type scenario on these forums?

If not does anyone have any ideas on how it could work, as in choosing three records blindfolded.

It would be a lot of fun, I'm just stuck on how each individual would be able to choose 3 random records online, I have a large folder of old albums & I imagine it is very little compared to a lot of people on here.

It would be a lot of fun, I'm just stuck on how each individual would be able to choose 3 random records online, I have a large folder of old albums & I imagine it is very little compared to a lot of people on here.

You start with one user who selects 3 records. Each person participating in the "battle" (and not the threadstarter) would have to come up with their best beat. It'll still be a random "roulette" thing because the participants didn't choose it themselves.

You start with one user who selects 3 records. Each person participating in the "battle" (and not the threadstarter) would have to come up with their best beat. It'll still be a random "roulette" thing because the participants didn't choose it themselves.

This is already the idea behind the Flip This contests on this site...they're pretty fun.

Is anyone or has anyone run a rhythm roulette type scenario on these forums?

If not does anyone have any ideas on how it could work, as in choosing three records blindfolded.

I'd say choose a different format and don't take someone else's ideas about the blindfold, 3 records etc... I love digging but I'd just brainstorm and think how I could add my own personal touch to it. I would do something like give2 producers the same records and see how they each flip it differently.

Last edited:
Drop the needle is another cool sampling game.

Stopwatch set for 15 minutes
pick a record - blind - from your crate
Put the disc on the turntable - press record on the sampler (Maschine in my case)
Without looking - Drop the needle
record 8 bars of wherever it fell.
chop and flip before the stopwatch hits zero

I do this on busy weekends when I know I only have a little while to **** about before wifey gives me jobs to do.

Drop the needle is another cool sampling game.

Stopwatch set for 15 minutes
pick a record - blind - from your crate
Put the disc on the turntable - press record on the sampler (Maschine in my case)
Without looking - Drop the needle
record 8 bars of wherever it fell.
chop and flip before the stopwatch hits zero

I do this on busy weekends when I know I only have a little while to **** about before wifey gives me jobs to do.

Great concept. I would definitely support the channel. The only thing I don't like is recording wherever it drops. I love chopping samples with vocals but sometimes that can be a great challenge. I'd still want the beat maker to have the option of finding a part of the song that is most appealing to his ear. Your concept sort of reminds me of a site that I came across that would have remix contests(they would provide the accapella) and each song flip would have different requirements like:

1)The song must use a synth
2)The song must use these drums and the pattern has to change(link with the drums)
3)The song must use a vinyl based piano loop

Last edited:
Back