Oddisee break chops

Anyone got any incite into his methods? Specifically, a lot of the breaks used on Diamond District's album are just ridiculous. More specifically "Streets Won't Let Me Chill" or "Make It Clear". I'd post a link but apparently I can't until I have 20 posts.

For about 3 years when I started out making beats I was stuck all in a computer, didn't have enough money to buy a MIDI or MPC or whatever until about 4 months ago. And recently I've just really been amazed at how good certain breaks sound. As far as I know, Oddisee uses an MPC, but on a song like "Streets Won't Let Me Chill" I just have trouble hearing how in the hell he chopped it up but kept the original sonic characteristics and general fluidity of that break.

Alot of time when I find a really good break I revert back to my old methods of chopping and rearranging in a DAWs arrangement screen. But I'd prefer to be able to do it all on the pads. Ya'll have any tips and or examples of breaks you've flipped with some complexity at least somewhat comparable to Oddisee's?

If anyone has the low down on what exact break that is that would also be awesome.

Last edited:
Anyone got any incite into his methods? Specifically, a lot of the breaks used on Diamond District's album are just ridiculous. More specifically "Streets Won't Let Me Chill" or "Make It Clear". I'd post a link but apparently I can't until I have 20 posts.

For about 3 years when I started out making beats I was stuck all in a computer, didn't have enough money to buy a MIDI or MPC or whatever until about 4 months ago. And recently I've just really been amazed at how good certain breaks sound. As far as I know, Oddisee uses an MPC, but on a song like "Streets Won't Let Me Chill" I just have trouble hearing how in the hell he chopped it up but kept the original sonic characteristics and general fluidity of that break.

Alot of time when I find a really good break I revert back to my old methods of chopping and rearranging in a DAWs arrangement screen. But I'd prefer to be able to do it all on the pads. Ya'll have any tips and or examples of breaks you've flipped with some complexity at least somewhat comparable to Oddisee's?

If anyone has the low down on what exact break that is that would also be awesome.

Oddisee never used the MPC. He started on the ASR-X and moved to Pro Tools. He made the entire Diamond District album on Pro Tools.

Back