Nujabes Dead from Car Accident

The Dream

March 18, 2010 09:49 AM EDT

Rumors that Japanese hip-hop and modern soul producer Nujabes had died are now sadly confirmed by his record label Hydeout Productions and his colleague and friend Shing02. Nujabes, whose real name is Jun Seba, is dead after a car accident in late February. According to Shing02:

"Through his soulful music, Nujabes has touched so many people around the world, even beyond his dreams. He was a mysterious character to most as he avoided the public limelight, rarely conducted interviews, so only a few got to know the man behind the signature production. Yet it continued to amaze me how young listeners of all backgrounds learned of his enigmatic name, and expressed support for his music."

I'm unclear on why this is only being confirmed today, when Nujabes' death was on February 26th, and his funeral has already passed.As a producer, Nujabes' career was all about collaboration. He worked with several underground hip-hop artists from Japan, the US, and other parts of the world, including Shing02, CYNE, Five Deez, CL Smooth and Uyama Hiroto.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

wow... tat sh*t is crazy... why do all da best always die b4 there time...

R.I.P. ur music will b missed...

Last edited by a moderator:
i heard this almost a month back, almost all of us thought it was a sick joke. starting to feel so guilty and regreat it.

went too soon. hope his catalogue isnt bootlegged to death like dilla's
all love and respect to his family. R.I.B Jun

Last edited:
Horrible.. When I read the first sentence I thought it was a new rumour, but when I read the word 'confirmed' I felt like I had seen a ghost..

RIP And your music will live on and inspire many more people

when someone dies they say its a reminder of life letting you know how special life is on this earth , one day were here an the next day were memories of loved ones that past but at sametime you reflect on all the littlest things 'on how they count the most ' sometimes we as humans take life for granted and times ' its sad in life we notice someone when they past when its too late to really know there true potienal -r.i.p.

damn, i've been sleeping on him... from the stuff you posted, i hear he got some beautiful ish R.I.P.

if it wasn't for Adult Swim hosting Samurai Champloo for that short period of time, i probably would've never heard of Nujabes. he will be missed. R.I.P.

I first found out who Nujabes was through Samurai Champloo. Of course I was looking at the credits to see who produced the hot music on the show. When I heard the opening theme, "Battlecry" I was blown away!!! It instantly sent me trying to find everything that he produced. For a while, my go to for inspiration and ear candy was nothing but Nujabes and J Dilla. I literally, before they shut down the site, would go to imeem and stream all of his music to chill, do house work or sleep to. I loved his production style and I loved the fact that he was so mysterious too. It made finding out more about him all the more interesting. This man truly spoke with his music!!! I am DEEPLY saddened to hear about his death. I just wish more of the hip hop world could have known his name. Nujabes will forever remain one of the BEST producers in my eyes!!! Rest in Peace Jun Seba.

Back