"Not getting sued for your sampling production"

FONZIFREE

A-VoyaginMusicGroup
I think one of the easiest ways to not get sued from sampling if your trying to make money from it is? Completely making the FLIP yours by making it Unrecognizable.... if you make the sample easily recognizable you'll be up to your neck in Lawsuits like Kanye West... that's one of the ways i think personally you can get away with it.

Do your homework and find obscure samples
Flip samples
Blend multiple samples together
Use obscure samples
Look for obscure records
Don't just loop 16 bars of a classic jam

if possible rip single notes from say a bassline or organ sample for example and use that one shot in a sampler with loads of fx to make a whole new melody. i tend to use this technique a lot with hard to get sounds or just random sounds i like.

yes one not samples are crazy. or just totally chopping and sending thru fx/filter/reverse. reason is great if you know how to cable route.

The idea of sampling isnt getting away with using a sample... You should, when you are in a good position to do so clear your samples... actually as a producer you aren't responsible for clearance unless you plan to use the sample for a track of your own i.e. not one that you are going to transfer the rights to someone else (sell)... when you sell a beat with a sample in it you aren't selling the sample itself, you are selling the time you put into the creation, arrangement, and production of everything except the sample

The idea of sampling isnt getting away with using a sample... You should, when you are in a good position to do so clear your samples... actually as a producer you aren't responsible for clearance unless you plan to use the sample for a track of your own i.e. not one that you are going to transfer the rights to someone else (sell)... when you sell a beat with a sample in it you aren't selling the sample itself, you are selling the time you put into the creation, arrangement, and production of everything except the sample
Exactly..

I don't CARE if my sample is recognizable or not.

If an artist likes it, it's their problem to clear the sample, not mine.

Yea the producer can use whatever sample but once sold the artist gotta get it cleared at first i thought it was the other way around when i started getting into the music thing and it shocked me when i found out!

Well if u truly want to avoid being sued then the best thing to do is not sample. Next best option is to buy sample libraries that are meant to be sampled. Chances are however that you are not making the kind of money that people who sue go after.

As much as I see this question asked here we should have a few super producers posting on these boards at least.

OP are you Dr. Dre?

Don't ever clear samples unless you're on a label, then let them take care of it. The aim IS to find samples nobody used before, or use something recognizable in a DIFFERENT context. CONTEXT IS ALL IMPORTANT KIDS. But, most of you probably won't get your beats out of the bedroom anyways, so sample those Jacques Loussier joints all day son. If you wanna be considered to be actually good by your peers, do something original and dope though.

And then when you release an instrumental album sell it on itunes and wonder why you are getting letters for court dates you'll understand why knowing about clearance is a good thing. It all depends on your aspirations. If all you want to do is sell beats to rappers then no don't clear it yourself. If you are an instrumental artist then it might be a better idea to clear them.

I'd like to be some kind of retard who can't read too, it would make arguing with people much easier. Read my post and your bullshit was addressed.

Manipulation is key with samples. If you destroy it with your own flavor then they cant sue... they wouldnt even try cause they wouldnt notice.

I agree

Im A SampleBased Producer, So When iSend Out Tracks For Mixtapes iDont Worry, But For Album Placements Its Up To Artists To Clear Them, If Its Your Own Project Available For Purchase Its Up To You

getting sues is the last thing on my mind when sampling. and from my own personal experience in the industry (very little so far) its on the artist or their label to clear the sample, not the producer. if the artist cant get the sample cleared then i just wont sell it to them. but its not my job to clear it, especially if an artist comes at me with a sample they found and want me to flip

Okay im totally new so I got alot of questions about sampling, I think posting here is better than making a new thread.

Like y'all said if i sample and make a beat then SELL it to someone else, I HAVE NOTHING to do with that record after that right? but my name is still on the credit list?

but what if i sample and make a beat and rap/sing over it myself and give it out for free (not selling) just upload it on utube and stuff? Is it still legal?

Okay im totally new so I got alot of questions about sampling, I think posting here is better than making a new thread.

Like y'all said if i sample and make a beat then SELL it to someone else, I HAVE NOTHING to do with that record after that right? but my name is still on the credit list?

but what if i sample and make a beat and rap/sing over it myself and give it out for free (not selling) just upload it on utube and stuff? Is it still legal?

nope on both accounts. the back end money is where the real money is at with music. when your song gets on radio and there is also ways to make money from music videos and things online as well. U r supposed to get a cut of that. Also they owners can come after you for uncleared samples regardless but by adding info in your contract stating that one needs to deal with clearances before releasing as an agreement to using this track helps a ton.

Back