no midi output on cubase sx3

Ermz

Ok
I have been to every forum and cant find the cure I have wasted alot of time.

I have a usb midisport 4x4 connected to my Korg X5D midi keyboard and to my pc via usb, im running cubase sx 3.
When i press the keys on my keyboard i can hear the sound and the midi input light comes ON but There is no Midi output and I cant Record. I tryed every settings on cubase and on my keyboard but cant manage to work it out. On cakewalk sonar it all works fine but not on cubase. Im using Advanced AC97 Sound card.
Please please I will beg please help me out.

Couple of questions,

How experienced are you with cubase?

Where is the sound coming from? your pc or your keyboard

Where is the midi light? your equipment or Cubase?

Thank you so much for replying.

I have little experience on cubase sx3 but trained 2 years in college on cubase vst32.
I have connected my Korg midi keyboard audio leads L and R to my pc Line in,
The sound comes from my pc when Im using Sonar prog. but no sound on cubase.
I have connected the midi in and out from my korg to my midisport interface and from the interface to the pc via USB port.
when I press a note on the keyboard the midi out light on the midisport and cubase dont flash but the midi in flashs on both. The most strange thing is, on Cakewalk Sonar it all works perfect both midi in and out works fine and I can record. But I wish I can work it on cubase.
Once again thanks for your email I hope you can help me.

Ok 1st check out this pic
cubase-sx2.png

Look to the bottom right of this picture, in the transport panel you can see 2 thin green bars, this is your stereo volume output, on the left hand side of these bars is the other 1/2 of the box, it is blank & again a little further to the left there is another thin box, this box shows midi activitiy, when you hit the korg are you seeing a red bar in this section?

If you can see it: Look on the left hand side of the pic where you have in: left - in1 L & out: Master (it probably won't say that on your screen but it will still have the boxes) you need to change these so it shows your korg

If you aren't getting a red bar you aren't getting any midi data into cubase at all, you could possibly need to add your midi instrument into Cubase, This is done through one of the menus at the top. You will need to re-boot after you have added it. The other thing to check is is where cubase is looking for data, In the preferences section it tells you where it is looking to receive midi from(which port on your PC) & also where it is trying to send Midi to (again which port). Make sure these are all routed to to the correct areas. Be careful when playing around with your preferences though as if you go in & scramble all the settings you'll have job getting them back. Do one at a time & then test it. If it doesn't work change it back to where it was.

Let me know how you get on

I cant open your picture there is an x mark on it.
When I press a note on the korg I see the red bar but nothing else.
My midi interface is in the settings of cubase. when I open device setup and click on all midi inputs I can see my midi interface a b c d and they are all active, and underneath that is default midi ports it writes midi input and midi output I have selected midi A input and Midi A Output same as my connections with my midi interface.
Underneath the default midi is windows midi it writes MIDI IN my interface A B C D midiports, and OUT Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth and my interface A B C D midi ports. I have selected and activated my interface midi ports.
There is VST Audiobay when I click the box I have 2 options Asio multimedia driver and asio directx full dublex driver I tryed both settings.
At the bottom there are VST Settings, VST inputs and Outputs and on both it shows I think my sound card ADVANCE AC97 audio 1 and 2 I cant select anything else and also there is VST System links which my sound card is selected and I cant change the settings of that. I cant see any boxs for me to select my Korg.

Back