Newbie....chopping a song for drum sounds

S

Samplelover

Hey F.P's

Quick question for everyone, what's the best way to chop a song up to get kicks and snares?
I sampled this song with a kick I want to use, but I don't want everything else in the background.
How do I chop it so I get only the sound I want?
By the way, if this will help, I'm using a Roland MV-8000. I love this machine!
Thanks!

Man just listen to the song being sampled. If you hear a snare or kick without the bassline r whatever instrument behind it. sample that. Keep in mind you will rarely get a kick or snare by themselves. Most of the time there will be at least a hh or synth behind it. You can find bare sounds but you have to dig homie dig.

you can always eq kicks out as long as there isnt a bassline but then your gonna have to layer it with something else to get it to sound good.

Sample the drums and auto-chop it into pieces. Place it as a patch and one of the pads will be your kick(If it's out in the open) I'm not good enuf yet to eq stuff out.

I find rock n roll music a better way to get drum sounds and jazz soul and blues for instruments and grooves

hmm.. i usually dont like the sound of rock and roll drums with hip hop if thats what you use them for. Just my opinion but i think 70s funk/soul break drums sound a lot better

missdjcoley-cole said:
Not being rude but please read the posts in this section or do a search. That question has been asked a million times already.

HOW LONG U BEEN DOING THIS??????

K-9

I've been sampling for only 2 weeks. I didn't know you could be too old to start sampling music.
You put a post from missdjcoley-cole on your post to me. Usually when someone starts a conversation off with " I don't mean to be rude", for the most part, they are.
I've done a search on the topic ( of course!!) but I wanted to find someone who would go more in depth with other questions. Just because a topic has been asked " a million times" doesn't mean it can't be asked again! Heck, alot of topics here at Future Producers, are repeat questions.
It's like when people learn how to do something, anything, they seem to forget that at one time, they didn't know how to do it themselves either.
Soulshock7,youngprodigymxd,
jimbafrosty,hustlementality,and andre518 thanks for the feedback. I'm sure these cats were aware that the topic has been discussed a " million times" as well, but they remain positived with their responses.
Anyways K-9, like I said, I've been doing it now for 2 weeks. It's taking me sometime to figure everything out, but I'll get it!
Like they say, " No retreat, No surrender!

I was talking to MissDJColey not you Samplelover. No disrespect, I love anybody who want to learn. It lets me know that they have a love for the music.

Last edited by a moderator:
K-9

My bad, I know you wasn't disrespecting. It just felt ill about what missdj coley-cole was saying.
I love making music and though I'm new to sampling, I'll get it.

Peace

JimbaFrosty nice link , maybe I'll see u in NY next week.

Check out old jazz albums. snares off of them are nice. also bass is easy to control.

Samplelover said:
K-9

I've been sampling for only 2 weeks. I didn't know you could be too old to start sampling music.
You put a post from missdjcoley-cole on your post to me. Usually when someone starts a conversation off with " I don't mean to be rude", for the most part, they are.
I've done a search on the topic ( of course!!) but I wanted to find someone who would go more in depth with other questions. Just because a topic has been asked " a million times" doesn't mean it can't be asked again! Heck, alot of topics here at Future Producers, are repeat questions.
It's like when people learn how to do something, anything, they seem to forget that at one time, they didn't know how to do it themselves either.
Soulshock7,youngprodigymxd,
jimbafrosty,hustlementality,and andre518 thanks for the feedback. I'm sure these cats were aware that the topic has been discussed a " million times" as well, but they remain positived with their responses.
Anyways K-9, like I said, I've been doing it now for 2 weeks. It's taking me sometime to figure everything out, but I'll get it!
Like they say, " No retreat, No surrender!

Man, you aint too old to be sampling music. The dopest producers on this earth were born in the 70's. And all the members on this FP thing know this! So what if this was asked before, why would a n*gga even respond if they were bothered by this fact?

The key is too sample something clean. Both rock & roll and 70's R&B vinyl is good place to start. You just gotta hunt for that right sound. Take you time, as a matter of fact, dedicate a couple of hours strictly to build up a kick & snare library.

Back