New to sampling...plz help!!!

dmac1122

wat up fp? ok so i have never sampled a beat before i just create my own stuff. lately ive been tryin to teach myself how to sample and i get how to chop up the samples and stuff like that. im using logic pro 8 and my prob is, is how the hell do i get my beat to quantize with the loop? like i know u can fix the tempo and stuff like that but it still sounds off. so do i fix the tempo of the sample and leave my quantize off and just try to make a beat over it? (it still sounds off when i do that but its the best i can make it fit) or do i do the beat first then fix the sample's tempo to match? (when i do that the sample sounds all distorted). can someone plz help??? lol

hmm usually when my loops sound off i replay it over and over to find the "problem area". It's usually that i need to edit some of my chops.

hmm idk the sample is chopped perfectly how i want it so i dont wanna change that. i need to fit my beat over it and it dont sound right when i do, like it sounds off. i tried using the groove template thing and it makes it sound even worse lol so i can scratch that option out. idk i guess imma just keep playin wit it till i get cuz i tried lookin up youtube vids and there aint **** and i aint gonna pay to watch a video on logic when i know i can get the answer for free :)

hrmmm.... maybe adjust the swing rate then?

Also, if you're putting a beat over a sampled loop that already has kickdrum or snares basically any percussion, then the percussions you add to it should match up.

Edit: How's about record a bit of it and post it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend that you create the loop you want and then try to find the tempo of your created loop by just adjusting the BPMs.....once it starts looping cohesively just place your drums on top....hopefully this helps...I mean the best tool is to use your ear......ive never used logic so that is how far I can go....

Hey i am new to sampling also... I usually create my own stuff also... But i really enjoy the art and challenge of sampling... here is my third sample i have done check it out.... https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326800

What i do is listen to the sample... Find out what i want.. listen to it about 4-5 times... then i find the tempo i want the sample... must daws have beat detect or tap tempo function so use it or just count to yourself and match the bpm... once you got the correct bpm... then start chopping away.... once you are done chopping and laid down the sample then eq the sample....and now you start with your kicks,hats and snare... ( one huge tip that FP people hooked me up with is always do you your chops on the downbeat it makes for way easier sampling.... Hope this helped and check out my thrid sample...

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326800

Last edited:
hrmmm.... maybe adjust the swing rate then?

Also, if you're putting a beat over a sampled loop that already has kickdrum or snares basically any percussion, then the percussions you add to it should match up.

Edit: How's about record a bit of it and post it?

heres wat i got so far. im sampling that journey song dont stop believing. it still sounds a lil off to me even tho i figured out how to quantize my beat to the sample. wat yall think? does it sounds off to yall?

http://www.divshare.com/download/10735881-2f2

Last edited:
heres wat i got so far. im sampling that journey song dont stop believing. it still sounds a lil off to me even tho i figured out how to quantize my beat to the sample. wat yall think? does it sounds off to yall?

http://www.divshare.com/download/10735881-2f2

yo to be honest... either i would chop the hell out of the sample or just not even attempt it. There is noway you are going to make a good track with a full 4 bar loop. IMO. chop the ish outta it.

lol well duh i cant make a sample outta 4 bars i was just giving yall a sample of the song im tryin to work wit. thats wat i got so far lol. maybe i will just choose a diff song or wait till i get more practice to do this one cuz i really wanna do this song

there is no definitive answer here. you can make the sample the tempo of the beat or make the beat the tempo of the sample. all depends on ur prefrence. what i think the key too ur problem is learning how too use a 'time stretch tool'

for all those who responded too this post but didnt say the obvious and easy answer which is time streach.........obviously yall needa learn what time strech is as well and how to utlize it!

Back