new to sampling

topsecret2010

hi, i am new to sampling.

i usually make beats on using midi keyboards and all my own sounds but am wondering what the trick to sampling is.

i have an old song around 65bpm im wanting to sample and can get a decent loop on the beat and melody but the singer comes in before the next beat so i am wondering how to structure this?

i would like to include a lot of the vocalists "oohs" and "aahs" but without jeopardising my loop structure.

any advice?

e.g a 2 bar loop works, but just before the 3rd bar hits, the vocalist begins to "ooh" carrying on to the 3rd bar, therefore is this likely to ruin my beat?

---------- Post added 04-26-2010 at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-24-2010 at 08:52 PM ----------

i see no-one knows?!? :S

im simply wanting advice on where to chop, do you chop on the beats, or on the vocal hits?

i would normally think beats but that means i would slice into a vocal e.g an "ooh" carried from just before the new beat drops until after.

It's different for every case. It would depend on how important the loop is to your flip. Maybe it sounds good with those little vocal snippets, maybe not. If you don't want them, try chopping at the half-beat and see if you can build a loop with several non-vocal chops. Or try to find a section in the song that's the same as the portion where the vocals come in and splice that in instead. Or chop on beat and at the vocal and do something interesting to the vocal section like filter, reverse, eq so it isn't so prominent or becomes a new focus of the end of your loop. There's a thousand different things you can do, so there's no right answer.

Last edited:
aryt safe for that.

thats good advice. so basically i got the freedom to do what i want, thats cool.

n nah, im wanting to keep the little vocal samples, n chop them up, but im thinking of choppin on the beats to keep a structure. but maybe il chop on the vocals hits too n see what other shit i can come up with.

:)

Back