New to producing sample based beats- LPX

Fellow producers!

This is my first post on here-- thought I would go ahead and join to seek knowledge from others that know the game.

So I'm currently working with akai-mpd218 and logic pro X on my macbook air. My goal is to produce J-Dilla, 9-th wonder type beats yet finding my own sound and vibe during the journey. As far as finding dope samples I have plenty my biggest challenge at the moment is understanding the the whole "process"

My question is after you throw a sample in logic and find the original sample BPM and chop the samples and throw them in the EXs-24 sampler. Is there anything more you have to do the sample or chops at this point. Is there a rule or guideline that the sample I just made has to form to my project tempo. Im trying to understand this concept with the use of my sample.

What I have been doing is I listen to the sample and find a drum kit that goes well with the sample/ lay my drums down / then I chop my sample and pitch it up or down depending on where I think it sounds best and then I lay the sample down.

Ive been seeing a lot of "time stretch" info ,

Basically what are the guidelines after you have the sample looping nice at its original BPM?
When chopping do I need to know what time signature of the song is and why?

Back