New Here| Need some advice

CutFade

Hey all, I been lurking this website for quite some time and I finally decided to sign up. Since I signed up I figured I might as well ask a question that’s been on my mind. For obvious reasons ill list my equipment. I am using Ableton 8, Reason 4, Adobe Audition, Recycle and an M-Audio keyboard with 8 midi-pads.

So my question goes like this; say you’re sampling a song alright. You find the section you want to cut up and slice. Do just take the section you selected and then send them to your midi with say like ½ bar slices so you have like 36 notes. Then you just mess around with them until you find a part you want to work with and go from there? Or do you take the section you want to cut and go in deeper and start making precise slices in the areas you want the sound to come from? I hope this is making sense, if it isn’t just holla and I can try and rephrase my question.

I’ve noticed my slices just don’t seem to come off smooth and when I apply them to my board it’s hard to find anything to flow well. I’ve had a few come out really well, but it was just luck and persistence in playing around with it.

Also this philosophy I have about how this works is like how graphic designers work. I used to make signatures in Adobe Photoshop and you take a piece of design you want to work with. Then you would take some graphics such as c4ds and cut them up and manipulate them all into one bad ass image. The only part that is different here is that you are kind of doing the rendering of the audio but it is still similar to how you would render an image.

If that’s true, I remember when I started graphic designing. Everyone had these bad ass images and what I would work with where like lame brushes and cheesy pixilated images. Then after months of practicing I semi-caught up with the big boys and made some bad ass images. With like my sampling and slicing its like I hear something I want to make but it just doesn’t seem to come out. So I go in a different direction then what I wanted to originally. I hear these flips people are doing and its like I can’t figure out how they are making these. I have watched many videos and read prolly like 20+ pages easily on how to do this, but it seems it only comes with experience.
And saying that I caught up with the big boys in graphic design in no way makes me think that I can do the same in this music world. So I am just looking for honest advice and want to give this flipping a honest try.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn’t want to make any more then a single topic.

Any reply will be appreciated and big ups on all the producers around here! I've been blown away at some of these talented artists!

Theres really no formula dude....but it def sounds like you have the right idea in both of the techniques you listed....as far as making the beat sound how "YOU" want it to sound, it doesn't always work that way sometimes you gotta go with the flow and direction the sample wants to take you... doesn't make it bad hope that helps in some way.

Theres really no formula dude....but it def sounds like you have the right idea in both of the techniques you listed....as far as making the beat sound how "YOU" want it to sound, it doesn't always work that way sometimes you gotta go with the flow and direction the sample wants to take you... doesn't make it bad hope that helps in some way.

Thanks for the reply, and yes what you said does indeed make sense! I feel you in saying there is no formula and that to me is kind of the beauty of it. But having the knowledge of how to get the samples you want is something I am just trying to get down and understand. Again thanks for the reply and best of luck in all you next productions!

Crazy question.

My setup is all software pretty much, for now at least. Because of that, I end up having to make precise slices with software programs and lay them out afterward. But I think that helps me out because the workflow is easier for me.

Try separating things and working both ways, by both mapping precise slices to specific keys, and by laying the whole sample on the board and playing with it. For me, the first way is just what I'm used to.

Hope that helped a lil bit. It really is about your comfort level, whatever helps you put the idea down better.

^^^^ Both them dudes pretty much sum up what the points id add. One basic thing ill add is make sure you make your chops nice n clean. Always have the start and end points smoothed or faded to remove the click you often get with sliced audio. It can sometimes make an otherwise good set of chops sound disjointed because there is not a smooth transition between the sample cuts.

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I am currently working on something right now and ill see if I can get a sample on here.

The quickfades on the edges that Jade was talking about are integral. Depending on the program you use, you can also try doing a cross fade between chops to help the transition further. I use FL 9 as my DAW, but generally chop up samples in Acid Pro 7 if I can find a loop. Then I'll chop up smaller and rearrange, and it helps to stay on track because its already beatmapped to a tempo and loop pattern. If I cant find a good loop to work from, I'll chop it from FL, put it on the MPD pads, and pray for a good combo to present itself lol.

Thanks for that reply animal, what I been looking at just has been blowing my mind. If you look at Boon Doc on youtube, he makes something amazing out of every sample he touches and its just insane. Then I see people post samples to be flipped on here and the outcomes are also just as sick and I just wanna get an understanding on how its being done. For example the Boon Doc guy, it just seems like he just has a feel on what sample to use and how its gonna turn out. Then he just does it and its almost as simple as that. For me its like I don't have that talent so I try and just play around with stuff until I like it.

I tried linking a upload on my last post and it just wouldn't edit so here it is. To be honest I really don't like it, but I figure it will give you guys a view on where I am coming from.

http: //www .divshare.com/download/10939190-413

I listened to it, I think the idea is tight, and the sample choice is good too. I don't think transitioning is your main problem, more so than just adding more to it. I'm still learning that lesson myself (and you'll never stop learning), that's where the hard work comes in, when you think a beat is finished, and you keep adding little things here and there... then the MIXING...

I think if you mixed this track up more, played with some effects, some proper delaying and reverbing of the sample, it could get some things kicking off. Also, in the arrangement, adding more percussion would probably kick the beat up a couple notches too, just not too much. Some good breaks, a bridge, that kind of thing.

Have an ear for it, play with it some more, see what happens you know. I think the chopping is real good though.

I listened to it, I think the idea is tight, and the sample choice is good too. I don't think transitioning is your main problem, more so than just adding more to it. I'm still learning that lesson myself (and you'll never stop learning), that's where the hard work comes in, when you think a beat is finished, and you keep adding little things here and there... then the MIXING...

I think if you mixed this track up more, played with some effects, some proper delaying and reverbing of the sample, it could get some things kicking off. Also, in the arrangement, adding more percussion would probably kick the beat up a couple notches too, just not too much. Some good breaks, a bridge, that kind of thing.

Have an ear for it, play with it some more, see what happens you know. I think the chopping is real good though.

Hey cool man thanks for that. So mixing is going back and doing effects and just small little things to make it flow? I am trying to learn to add percussion but since I am playing the beat by hand I am trying to keep it simple. Your comment is appreciated bro!

^^^^ Both them dudes pretty much sum up what the points id add. One basic thing ill add is make sure you make your chops nice n clean. Always have the start and end points smoothed or faded to remove the click you often get with sliced audio. It can sometimes make an otherwise good set of chops sound disjointed because there is not a smooth transition between the sample cuts.

Hey jade i like that suggestion. Do you use FL and is there a way to do that with the fpc? If not does anyone know?

Hey jade i like that suggestion. Do you use FL and is there a way to do that with the fpc? If not does anyone know?

I usually Open up 2 Edisons. One with the full song and the other to drag my cuts into before dropping them into the FPC. Usually I add a marker to my slice in Edison then on the tools drop down menu ( the small wrench icon ) select Perfect all regions and it auto fades the start n end points of that slice.

This can also be done with Slice X if you use that. After you have all your markers placed use the tools drop down and select perfect regions and it will auto fade the start and end points of each marked slice.

Hey guys, I went out to hollywood today and dug out some nice records! Ill be sure to post up some of the samples i dig out so hell yeah right? Anyways I wanted to see if anyone could guide me in the right direction. Im peeping the artist RZN and i just can understand what exactly he is doing. Its this track right here http: //ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=dgP6uspbhvU&feature=related

If you can cue me in and help me out ill be sure to hit you back with much appreciation!

Also my aim is ' Lick A Tab ' if you would want to chat with me on a messaging system.

I usually Open up 2 Edisons. One with the full song and the other to drag my cuts into before dropping them into the FPC. Usually I add a marker to my slice in Edison then on the tools drop down menu ( the small wrench icon ) select Perfect all regions and it auto fades the start n end points of that slice.

This can also be done with Slice X if you use that. After you have all your markers placed use the tools drop down and select perfect regions and it will auto fade the start and end points of each marked slice.

aha...that perfect all regions should work. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I made another flip and would like to hear some feed back on it.

Flip Link : http: //ww w.divshare.com/download/10953638-7eb

This is the sample I got off the records I went and found yesterday:

http: // w ww.divshare.com/download/10953679-1a3

All comments again are appreciated!

Last edited:
one comment i have for you is to bounce stuff down as an mp3 when you upload it to divshare nah mean? i don't mind helping you but i don't need your beats filling up my hard drive no offense. This ones not bad for a newjack again. Youre on the right track. Listen to some of your favorite producers and try to figure out how they chopped shit that'll be a big help.

one comment i have for you is to bounce stuff down as an mp3 when you upload it to divshare nah mean? i don't mind helping you but i don't need your beats filling up my hard drive no offense. This ones not bad for a newjack again. Youre on the right track. Listen to some of your favorite producers and try to figure out how they chopped shit that'll be a big help.

Alright will do, and yeah sorry about the size haha I never checked the amount of megs that shit is. Ill be sure to mp3 that shit from now on. Also thanks for peeping it :cheers:

Back