Never found samples

dp100proof

Hey guys, I'm gonna do a short piece on mainly hip hop songs that WhoSampled does not provide the original sample for. Tracks that we all wanted to know the sample but never found out, like necros "gihad" joint for Raekwon and more. Give me your input on songs that we don't know the samples for

There's many many of these. A lot are due to short length (single drum shots or vocals) or processing that renders the sample almost unrecognizable. But there are a lot of sharp ears out there that are hard to slide a fast one past.

Now, I'm not sure if you are looking to do this for personal gain or as a service to people, but it would be hard to simply write "a piece" on un-cited samples as a one time thing that was not a continuously expanding body of work.

I think it's better for you to provide the legwork if you are wanting people to provide input instead of expecting everyone else to cross reference what is already cited and what is not. If you are truly doing a research piece, then you should expect to provide a body of material that allows others to "fill in the blanks", so to speak, in order to receive feedback.

You stated one example, but a website with an interface and search engine for something like this is actually a dope idea that could expand on what is already provided by that other website.

If the website is not an option, then perhaps you might want to provide a list of specific songs/samples that you are requesting people to provide citation for? I'm not seeing how this would be a cut and dry report...

...unless you are just trying to figure out where the sample for that specific song you asked about is from...in that case, I'd be disappointed in the false pretense, because I kinda took you seriously for a second there. But I know where it was sourced from:hmmm:

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily looking to find the samples, it's just a topic I wanted to discuss because there are some songs that we are all familiar with that over the years we still haven't found the original samples. I'm can care less about the answers it's just something I thought was interesting to write on

The necro track is just the first thing that came to my head but I also know the half a mil joint with nature "what you ridin" and Jean grae "code red"

once you post on your blog/site the samples to these "never found samples" songs, whosampled has a huge search engine.
they will find your post and simply post it on their site.. ultimately deeming your blog useless

Back