Need some help with BASS

B

BigJohnAudrey

I've been working with the 3x OSC synth in fruity loops. My question is what key should a bassline be in? i find that some of the higher notes sound horrible and some of the lower notes hardly have any tone. also, im getting tired of this generator for bass, is there anything else anyone could suggest for good bass using fruity loops? thanks.

www.soundclick.com/8ken

I'm not sure about the key a bassline should be in, but do you mean the octave?
It is a lame sample, but I used the Hip_Bass(1 thru 3) for a while to get a generic bass sound when I was stuck in FL stock sounds. For a better sound I would recommend getting a seperate plugin. The sub bass in Hypersonic is nice, and many people recommend Trilogy around here.

Last edited:
i don't know about frooty loops or how to use it, but speaking as a bass player(4 string) i'd say E....

the "key" of the bass should follow the "key of the song you're playing the bass in...

dont use fruity plug ins
.....get up on some else....like the spectracsonics or sujm

Key-use the key of the song. If your song is in A minor use A minor, or C major, the relative major. Etc. And if your sampling, you are just going to have to experiment to find key.

But i think this is more what you are having trouble with. Sometimes the bassline is right between too high or too low. So half of it sounds good, but certain notes don't have the right characteristic. The simple solution is to layer two basslines that are idetical (well they don't have to be), but in two octaves. This will give your bass the lowend it needs on the high notes that don't work out too well. But still be clean on the lowend.

Back