my sampling style

jjm1365

i use fl studio and i have been using a strange style lately. i listen to songs for little pieces i like and sample split second sounds. if it is longer, or a melody, i will send it to fl slicer and play around with the chops like an on screen mpc in a way. the sound i end up with is unique. completely original feel because im only using small samples and changing the original format of the song. What is you guys opinion on this though? i really want to get into sampling but i find this way to be the way i get a clean sound. there is alot of feedback and unwanted sounds in my longer, direct samples

Man, I use to do the same thing and still do if I'm looking to add things to my track without worrying about timing. But back then I didn't understand how to sample correctly. Try this for starters -find a loop you like, make sure it is 4bars. Find out the tempo of that loop (Tap tempo in your DAW or Midi hardware) Make your song that tempo in your DAW. If you want the tempo slower or faster just adjust the pitch and tap tempo again.

Chop that loop into 16 slices. You should be able to hit those pads in any order when pressed on in tempo with your metronome. As far as unwanted sounds go in general, use a filter or eq them out. Or put them in the back seat with layering etc.

I hope this helps out bro.

Last edited:
Man, I use to do the same thing and still do if I'm looking to add things to my track without worrying about timing. But back then I didn't understand how to sample correctly. Try this for starters -find a loop you like, make sure it is 4bars. Find out the tempo of that loop (Tap tempo in your DAW or Midi hardware) Make your song that tempo in your DAW. If you want the tempo slower or faster just adjust the pitch and tap tempo again.

Chop that loop into 16 slices. You should be able to hit those pads in any order when pressed on in tempo with your metronome. As far as unwanted sounds go in general, use a filter or eq them out. Or put them in the back seat with layering etc.

this is pretty much what i do!!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

this is pretty much what i do!!

I sample in a similar way as you mentioned. I won't always chop on beat, I'll normally try to just chop sections of audio that sound good. This will give you a number of sampled sounds to program however you like. I feel it gives you more control.

Last edited:
because i wanted to find more sufficient techniques, i'm still a beginner with sampling and looking for help. i'm going to look into the above tips also and its much appreciated

I'd stay out of looping bars. It's not good when it comes to placements and melodic skills PLUS You dont move on sorry You just looped shit someone played before, whats the point? Hip hop should be oryginal and fresh but its not. peace

I used use loops but then I realized that I wasn't really changing much, only adding some drums and changing the pitch. But now I try to find a couple of 4 bar loops in a song and then just chop them up so I can get some stabs that I can actually manipulate and have some fun with.

I do it in a similar way, literally scrubbing through the sample until a chord or progression sticks with me, then go from there. What I also like to do is take those chops and run em through a wavetable synth. The result often barely resembles the original anymore.

Just jacking a loop or stab is cool, too, if its dope. There's really no point tryin to chop shit up just for the sake of "being original". If you have no idea where to go with it then whatever you'll do is just going to come out wack. I mean just listen to some of the big playas... especially Kanye... he blatantly jacks shit and just plays it back if the result is crack (Otis).

The problem with plain loops is that musically you'll be restricted to whatever's played in the loop. So personally I don't loop shit that doesn't allow me add any of my own intruments and interpretation... cause if you literally just sample some bars and slap some drums underneath you might produce some good beats but there won't be any "you" in them. You're just regurgitating.

I'd stay out of looping bars. It's not good when it comes to placements and melodic skills PLUS You dont move on sorry You just looped shit someone played before, whats the point? Hip hop should be oryginal and fresh but its not. peace

Don't be so limited.

Whatever sounds good bro

Back