my sample is out of tune i think..

droo09

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this, but I started working on this sampled beat and am having trouble adding my own accompanied instruments because it sounds out of tune with the sample. I used samplitude to lower the pitch by 1 semi-tone, so the sample should still be in tune, but when I mess around with a bassline, it just doesn't sound right. Anyone have any idea?

this isnt something that you should really have to ask. Use your ears and determine by yourself if your beat is out of tune if it is fix it. Sometimes also its easier to tune the instruments you have to the sample rather than tune the sample to the instruments

i see what you mean, but the issue is that the sample should not be out of tune. I suppose it is possible that the instrumentation on the actual song was out of tune. The strange thing i forgot to mention is when I play really high notes, it sounds in tune, but low bass notes do not. Even when I play along with piano it is the same thing.

i see what you mean, but the issue is that the sample should not be out of tune. I suppose it is possible that the instrumentation on the actual song was out of tune. The strange thing i forgot to mention is when I play really high notes, it sounds in tune, but low bass notes do not. Even when I play along with piano it is the same thing.

the instrumentation on the actual song was out of tune? I dont think that is possible man, I guess you're confused, actually I dint hear anything out of tune, and I find the beat good as it is...

Last edited:
yea thats what I'm saying, I don't see how the sample could be out of tune, but I was trying to add in some bass guitar. The root of the song should be iin A minor, but whenever I play stuff it sounds out of tune. The only way you could know what I'm talking about is listen to the song and trying play a low A on the keyboard, it just doesnt sound right.

It sounds like those violins were played by you right?

Play the bass at a higher octave until it's correct, and then move it down to the lower octaves after.

actually all the instruments like the violin are sampled, the drums are what I added myself. I see what your saying greeze, sometimes its hard to hear the low bass notes, but the issue im having is trying to play something in key with the violin. Playing "A" on the keyboard is as close as i can get, but it sounds a little off. I'm just confused because I haven't had any trouble before with samples and adding in my own stuff, but everything seems out of key.

Play it in a near key, then tune it slightly using pitch correction or the VSTs inbuilt tuning system.

one of our modern day spoilings that i dont think some people get is that back in the 60s and 70s or whatever u are sampling they didnt have tools to tune your piano or guitar well. you had to do it by ear and the ear (unless u have perfect pitch) isnt always 100% on point. Most of our software libraries are on pitch 100%. To even things out u should pitch your vst to the sample rather than the other way around because youll have a hard time getting the sample to be perfect.

Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate them. I'm just gonna have to tune my own instruments to the sample. The sample I used was actually "been around the world" by lisa stansfield which is a pretty popular song and was done in the 90's I think, so I didn't think tuning would be a problem, but maybe it was.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

btw anyone know of any good pitch correction software? I'm using reason 4 and don't think it has that feature.

Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate them. I'm just gonna have to tune my own instruments to the sample. The sample I used was actually "been around the world" by lisa stansfield which is a pretty popular song and was done in the 90's I think, so I didn't think tuning would be a problem, but maybe it was.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

btw anyone know of any good pitch correction software? I'm using reason 4 and don't think it has that feature.
Buy Record for Reason users best $150 I ever spent. Record 1.5 and Reason 5 when they come out next month will be free upgrades if you buy Record. Record will come with a pitch correction module in 1.5

Try out new Melodyne with DNA. You could also use FL Studio to fine tune each note of your added instrument so it fits with the sample. I'm sure Reason has a feature to fine tune notes too, this is quite a basic feature for any serious DAW.

The thing could be that the original sample is in tune, but it is a few cents to a way or another from your vsti.

Most vsti's have a fine tuning knob, try tuning it with that.

Back