my opinion on sampling

JaeOrchNY

I feel like imagination plays a big role i sampling. I say if the song strikes a chord with you, GO FOR IT!!! music is about creation. F&^K everyone elses opinion do what your heart tells you... DatboyOrch on twitter

agreed. i had someone listen to my all my beats and love them but the moment i told them I used a couple of loops they were turned off.. Why? That just sounds like some ol snob shit to me. I say if it adds value, do it, no matter what it is. Don't limit yourself by not using a fine piece of music just because the next guys frowns upon it. I've made full beats with JUST samples, no added drums.. the fact that I chopped and arranged them qualifies as producing or beat making.. I've been too inspired by Kanye west and No I.d. and Dilla to even consider what the next man frowns upon.

exactly. they think it's "old" but dont realize that all this shit recycles.. It really is a cycle and sampling never went away. and All their favorite producers still sample to this day!

Sampling is super under appreciated. I know because I thought it was a cop-out when I first started. Then Kanye West happened.

If you can take a Daft Punk record and turn it into Kanye's "Stronger". Turn New Edition's "Can You Stand the Rain" into Big Sean's "My Last". Flip Adele's "Melt My Heart To Stone" into Childish Gamino's "Do Ya Like".

That's about as creative as it gets.

hahah true! It takes a lot to really flip a sample creatively. Working with samples to make them your own expands creativity and imagination. If you're not a sample based producer, i still feel like flipping samples is a great practice to build a real ear for music!

Seems like it's a pain though when you're making serious money off of sales because you have to clear every sample. Drake's album was delayed because of all the samples that needed to be cleared before it went out.

yeah but that's a part of the game, but separate from the creation process. I'm all for sampling, but if you want to make all your money and eliminate all legal risks... learn to compose. I know guys who will compose tracks that sound sampled, which is amazing. hats off to those fellas

I've always loved sample-based songs melody-wise. I used to hate it though when samples were "too obvious", where I felt like they didn't really do much to the sample. There was a song on the first Juelz Santana album that sampled Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" and I kinda felt that way about it. But after having started sampling myself, I realized the intricacies of it and how meticulous you have to be with it. Then when it's flipped very creatively its a mind**** lol.
Kanye's "Slow Jamz" is still probably my favorite song/beat ever.

If only i knew how to lol, i can't get my microsampler to sample, of course im a newbie at this so..

For Sure, I say, it doesnt matter how you make the music. Sampling, drum machines, snyths, loops, records, none of that matters. The music isnt about the gear, when it comes down to it its all about the creativity of the individual. As long as the music is good, who cares if its a loop or a sample.

i used to have the same problem.
So i learned myself how to compose on top of my beats a little. like recreate instruments that are in the song (very hard to do)

exactly where i was going.

How can someone frown on you for sticking to the roots of hip hop?

Perhaps you should just jump on the bandwagon and use cheesy electro sound :/

Back