**** my mpc 1000

S

scrimscramtheman

so ive really been realizing lately how much my mpc has been limiting my creativity its hella old so it has the like 256 mb memory card it only lets me chop like an 8 second sample at the most can someone help me out..what do i need to do to get some better memory. most of the the samples i find i wanna take like 20 seconds but it just doesnt let me pretty irritating i get the ****in insufficiant memory thing flashing up like every time i try and chop something

I don't have an MPC so I will make some guess's ..Can you upgrade to more ram?.Maybe sample in mono?.

Not sure what you may be referring to as 256mb, but the stock RAM is 16mb. Maybe you're referring to your Compact Flash card? The 16mb should give you 136 seconds in mono (68 seconds stereo).

When you chop samples up are you making copies and keeping them all at full length? If so you should keep an original on the machine & trim your chops to size so they don't carry excess weight.

Upgrade your ram and its not necessary but I would get a hard drive. Its much easier having everything in the MP rather than going back and forth with flash drive.

MPC ain't holding you back, you just gotta have the right tools. If you don't already have JJos get that because your workflow will be much smoother... lots of nice functions and effects.

You load full songs to your mpc and then try to chop new sounds from the sample?

Or you can only load 6 secs of sample?

Last edited:
ya i think it is because i only have the 16mb RAM my turntable is out of commission right now so ive been doing alot of just straight up wav file sampling i think thats probably the problem. when i sample wav files it only lets me sample like 8 seconds. ALSO i was checkin out the new NI Maschine 1.5 it looks sooo dope what does everyone think about it? it looks pretty legit

I've been scoping out that Maschine too homie...BUT I heard you cant do any sequencing thru the MIDI out, i.e. other synths e.t.c. Havent had a chance to investigate further, but it seems to be a tight little package depending on what you want to do with it....

ya ive been trying to figure out as much as i can about it, but there is alot i still dont know..im pretty new to the hardware game i just got the mpc like 3 months ago. it looks like the software for it is pretty tight though there is a bunch of producers promoting it like needlz and no i.d. im just not really sure what to think of it..

so ive really been realizing lately how much my mpc has been limiting my creativity its hella old so it has the like 256 mb memory card it only lets me chop like an 8 second sample at the most can someone help me out..what do i need to do to get some better memory. most of the the samples i find i wanna take like 20 seconds but it just doesnt let me pretty irritating i get the ****in insufficiant memory thing flashing up like every time i try and chop something
upgrade the ram and get the full sample time. or speed up your turntable when sampling in then slow it down in the mpc. thats what cats did on the sp1200 which had only 10 seconds of memory

upgrade the ram and get the full sample time. or speed up your turntable when sampling in then slow it down in the mpc. thats what cats did on the sp1200 which had only 10 seconds of memory

Great point! Haven't used an MPC in soo long that I totally forgot about sampling at a high speed.

ya i think it is because i only have the 16mb RAM my turntable is out of commission right now so ive been doing alot of just straight up wav file sampling i think thats probably the problem. when i sample wav files it only lets me sample like 8 seconds. ALSO i was checkin out the new NI Maschine 1.5 it looks sooo dope what does everyone think about it? it looks pretty legit

Have you already checked out how much you actually have sample time on your mpc? One thing that I don't really understand: Did you buy your mpc as with 256mb or without it? Did you buy it second hand?

It's time to check out what you actually have in it.. Check out your sample time from the mpc. And you could also open it up and see if there is 256mb or 16mb in it, if you are not sure what you have bought.

You should be able to cope with the 16mb if you only loaded stuff you need and delete everything you don't. Unless you are using long loops. If you only can load 8 seconds to your mpc's memory at the time, somethings wrong with the ram you already have. Like gr_exclamation said, you should be having 68 seconds of stereo sampletime.

Don't load full wav songs, cut out the parts you want to sample when the sample is on your computer. If you don't have any program to do this with, download Audacity.

And after you've chopped your sample, delete the original file so it won't be taking up the space. You can also speed up (pitch up) the sample on your computer to make it shorter. Then just adjust the pitch back down on your mpc.

well shi* i was gonna put in my two sense but looks like jyri already did for me. lol. yeah i had the same problem as you, mpc1000, stock everything, and i couldnt chop all the samples i wanted cause "insuficient memory" would come up every time. but i purchased the 128 MB RAM and installed it myself and now i can record up to like...13 mintues? of stuff and i have no limitations on memory.

but ya just like jryi said, if your mpc100 is still loading all the stock crap once you turn it on, disable that. (and you can find out how to do that in your mpc manual or online pdf manual) and you will have alot more memory to work around with.

hope that helps a litle bit. peace

thanks everyone actually like hmp007 said i was actually able to delete all the stock sounds and programs and what not it actually increased the wav. sample time to like 30 seconds. but thanks everyone for all your input it really helped

Back