Music theory required for chopping samples?

nervecell

The way I chop samples is I listen to the track, then add it as a sample in FL studios, then chop it manually and by ear in edison then load it into my triggerfinger and go to work.

The next part is where I have a problem.

I don't follow any music theory or whatever so I just chop like whatever. Is it because of this that drums do not flow properly with the sample?

Do I have to follow rules of bars and whatever to make the sample loop and drums fit together?

force the sample to work. a sample can work at any tempo you want it to you just have to chop it correctly

Yes, you need to know the rules, otherwise you will have an unruly and incomprehensible pattern.

You just have to listen to the sample and hear the values. Get in sync.

If you're sampling a whole loop with a rhythm section then you need to pay attention to the whole thing.

I think it helps alot. Learn note values like profit said. It helps a whole lot when chopping samples.

I mean you have to know/understand tempos and lengths of sounds. But still..
force the sample to work. a sample can work at any tempo you want it to you just have to chop it correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
just make beats you will get the hang of it later sooner or later, i had no music theory when i first started making beats but i developed by my own work

Don't just chop anywhere. Chop the parts you like and wanna use and play them in a way that sounds good. Its simple, don't overthink it.

I mean you have to know/understand tempos and lengths of sounds. But still..
depends on how you sample. I basically just turn the loop into a bunch of one shots and play them out how I see fit. Filter some bass or maybe a bass loop and use my ears. A lot of people don't do that. They chop sequences in however many bars they wanna use and flip it that way. Either way works neither is better but mine leaves a lot more space for having the tempo I want

What I usually do is take a loop of the song I am sampling and find the tempo of that small loop. I then chop the sample up the way I want (mostly on kicks in order to stay on beat) and make a beat from there. I am confined to a certain tempo this way, but idk it works for me.

Back