MPC/SP1200 using & processing samples question???

LucRyan

When using old samplers such as an MPC 60 or SP 1200, the challenge is using sample memory/time wisely. What I don't understand is, when producers find a sample (for example let's say a sample with horns and bass) and record it into either an SP or MPC, do they record it twice? One track being (going back to the example) the mid-high frequencies (the horns) and track 2 being the low frequencies (the bass)??? To me this method does make sense but seems like it would be using more sample memory than necessary. The other method (to me seems a little more practical) would be to record 1 track of the full sample (both horns and bass sounds) and when tracking out the beat into a DAW or other workstation then the sample is turned into 2 tracks, separating the sample's low and high frequencies. I may just be over thinking how this is accomplished but I was wondering how other producers go about making a beat. In what part of the beat making process are the instruments/tracks separated? What i've heard is that it's best to make the beat as complete as possible straight out the box (raw outputs from mpc or sp1200) but I just don't understand why producers go about having 2 tracks of the same sample on the mpc. Like I said seems unnecessary and would be using a lot of sample memory. Let me know what your workflow looks like. Thanks

Last edited:
In other words I want to make sampled music that consists of multiple samples that switch up (the tracks/samples) and was wondering if this seperation of low and high frequencies are done in the sampler or the workstation where it's mixed/mastered.

In the MPC 2K you just sample one sound, copy it and place it on different pads. For example for a bassline copy the same sound once or twice an place them underneath eachother as one will be the high freq note and the other low frequencies.

Got it? No loss of sample time or memory.

I tried doing that in my 3000 the other day and it works differently. 1.) copying a sound used up memory. Created a whole new sample. 2.) the filter on the 3000 is assigned to samples not pass unfortunately. Thanks for the response tho

Although I like the method of sampling at 45 rpm to save memory, for me it's difficult to EQ when it's pitched. I think if I wanna seperate the frequencies of a sample in the 3000, I would need to make 2 copies (using memory) and apply the filter to one track acting as the bass track and the other track acting as mids/high frequency track.

Well its already been answered - you just assign the same sample to two different pads. pad B1 would have the sample with the filter open, and B2 would have the same sample but with a different filter value = thats why they have two tracks of the same sample.

if you want to EQ it you can send it out the individual outs in the back and Eq then im studio mixer or just EQ it in the computer afterwards.

Back