motif chopping vs mp chopping

JYESSMUZIK

How comes every time I watch a video (like the Pete Rock mpc video) with a mpc the chopping seems so much better than what I can do with my motif es? It seems like the sample gets chopped so much smoother b/c they just keep hitting button after button and the sample runs so smooth together. Pete Rock just hits button after button and it seems like when he hits one pad the other pad shuts off and the sample goes so good together. Don't get me wrong.. I'm nice wit the motif chopping and what not but whats up with the mp's people? I was thinking about copping a mv8000 but I heard the swing rate on the mp is a lot nicer. What do ya'll think and is it possible to chop like that on my motif or set it up so when I hit one key the other key shuts off?

ohhh, that's bad if it happens like that.. a friend of mine has a motif and i don't know how to use it, but i have mastered the xl and yes it runs smooth, but it's more to it than just trimming a sample and using the chop function.... if a sample is originally around 99bmp, u can't make it run smooth under that bpm without breaks in the loop... it only works for turning slow samples into faster samples and even then sometimes u got to fine tune them to hit on point.... i would give examples, but i can't give away my samples like that.... but i can provide u with a soundclip if u like of something i cut into 32 pads...

heres a tip turn ur release up all the way and turn ur polyphony to 1 that will give u the same effect :)

The motif in general isnt sampling friendly like the MPC or ASR-10. the Motif ES is better sampling as opposed to the Motif classic. The MV isnt bad thats what im using now. The best way although tedious with the motif is to convert your samples to a drum voice and this way you have better control of your samples and somewhere in the manual i cant recall where is a function where you can make the notes cut each other out I think its called Alternate group. If worse comes to worse goto www.Motifator.com they should have the info you need. Hope that helps

MoLeKuLaR said:
The motif in general isnt sampling friendly like the MPC or ASR-10. the Motif ES is better sampling as opposed to the Motif classic. The MV isnt bad thats what im using now. The best way although tedious with the motif is to convert your samples to a drum voice and this way you have better control of your samples and somewhere in the manual i cant recall where is a function where you can make the notes cut each other out I think its called Alternate group. If worse comes to worse goto www.Motifator.com they should have the info you need. Hope that helps

Now is this an opinion or a fact? I have made some pretty sick beats off the motif and everyday I keep asking myself if I should get the pads jus cuz I know that they give you that feel. I know that if you feel comfortable on a piece of equipment that you're gonna bang out nothing but classics (if you got skillz). I keep asking myself if I should get the mv or the mpc2500/4000/2000xl and I know the only way to find out is to try them but I need a week or 2 with each piece to figure it out and thats a lot of money to drop on something that I might not like. I am kind of leading towards the mv but I read somewhere that the swing on the mpc is amazing and I know that the mpc is the standard so of course it gets points there. That mv looks sick and jus a little more than the 2500 and a lot cheaper than the 4000.

Now, you're saying that the motif is not as sample friendly as the mpc or mv.. anybody else agree?? Please let me know cuz I ain't tryin to drop 2Gs on a machine that I don't need. Also, who else out there is a sample based producer that strictly uses the motif es? I want some opinions people.. well I guess my wallet does. I appreciate all replys!

Xabiton said:
heres a tip turn ur release up all the way and turn ur polyphony to 1 that will give u the same effect :)

Yeah I figured out the release idea a while back but I can't figure out how to turn down the polyphony.. I checked the index and polyphony isn't in there and I checked under the utilities option and I had no luck. Any ideas? I do appreciate the tips though cuz you were right on the money! 1

Last edited:
i dont remember where its at off the top of my head that is a geneal tip but I am not a motif expert or even intermediate user

Last edited:
well first of all... WE'RE TALKIN ABOUT PETE ROCK HERE!!!! He could prolly do that with any machine.

When all your chops are the same length...
They will play smoothly from one chop to the next...
No trick...
Just have even sample lengths....
No each pad is not muting itself either...

Back