Methods you use to make samples less recognizable?

ego killer

what are some ways you disguise your samples, if at all? i do a few things myself, such as alter pitch add filters and such, and obviously chop, but would like more ideas.

Something I like to do personally is play the sample in reverse just to hear how it sounds. You'll be surprised what you can come up with. Hope it helps.

Raise the attack to make it sound less chopped.
Automate the volume halfway down of the snares that you'll cover with your own.
Play an alternate sample from the song an octave higher or lower.
Trigger a sample one the first beat, and have a duplicate of the same sample and trigger that on the second beat to create a late doubled effect.

A combination of micro choppin', reorganizing the sample and pitch shift. When I REALLY have the time, I interpole a sample and switch up some chords and/or instruments

I just give it a hard compression. I work with Sub Pumper a lot in FL Studio. Sometimes I give it an EQ, I speed or slow it down. It all depends on what I'm working with.

elastic audio/flex time can completely change your sample. I have used Melodyne editor before and that was amazing, switch it to polyphonic mode and it breaks the different parts within the sample up, allowing you to repitch timestretch etc. If you play around on melodyne long enough it will be tottally unrecogniseable.

I chop the hell out of a sample. Never loop. Pitch & rearrange and make my own melodies. I also don't find samples in the "typical" places as most people.

Add a bit of distortion. Mad chopping. Add delay, for a dreamy sound. Widen the stereo field. Slooooooow it down or speed it up!

chop up sample into really small pieces. especially guitar samples. when i use my mpc i use 16 levels a lot with single chops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I do... that sometimes makes a huge impact is splitting the channels. Convert from Stereo to Mono and depending on how it was recorded, you get a big difference from the R to the L. You can usually hear when this technique will work cuz you'll hear the R and L sound different even when it's in stereo. Good luck!

Just placing the sample in a totally different area of the mix compared to where it was sampled from, e.g if it's a vocal that stood out in the foreground in the original recording try putting it in the background in your track with lots of reverb etc.

Chop it, pitch it, stretch it, then replay the chopped portions into a new melody. Additionally add effects (reverb, phaser, flanger, delay, filter) then put instrumentation over it. Pow, instantly cleared sample.

timestretch a break sample out to twice its length then split it into each slice, once thats done just highlight all the slices then stretch them back to the original playback rate. reorganise the slices a bit then give it some slight reverb or a delay to fill in the gaps.
maybe add other effects like distortions, trancegating, or vocoding too

Back