Method to your madness?

KVLTVRED

Just curious what process other producers out there use when creating a beat with mainly sample based melodies? I know everyone has their own methods and processes they use when composing, what are yours?

Generally; since I'm still VERY new to sampling I don't exactly have a "method" or "process", I start with my hook section melody sample chopped to my liking and find a new melody whether it may be rearranging the sample completely or manipulating the slices with either a pitch adjustment or any other type of effect or plug-in. Find my new melody or just arrange my sample into my own loop and from there I go straight into my bass line. Once I've got a hang of where the bassline may bring my percussion I go bar by bar adding my hats, snares, claps and other percussions (congas etc) then once I've got that section down to the specifics of exactly where I'm grooving I go in with my kicks/808 corresponding with my bass line melody. So on and so forth with the verse, bridge, intro/outro etc.

Last edited:
Sampling is like the advanced version of messing with the buttons on a vcr/dvd player.Playback manipulation times infinity.
There's not much to say else but chop the parts you like, then chop some more, then chop some more.And since you'll be exposed to effects you'll be able to piece together a track exactly how you hear in your head.The hard part will be chopping precisely at the start/end points.

Word. I like the analogy. I thought for sure people would dig into this topic, I suppose not. Anyhow. I'm going to be working on a new track tomorrow. I feel like I have had my first sampling epiphany where I have heard something and instantly thought, I NEED THIS.

For me, it changes each time I make a beat but this is what I do most of the time. So when I find a sample, I chop it up and then sequence the chops in as many different ways as I can (that sounds good) and then listen through all the sequences I just made and then eliminate the ones that arent that good or are too similar to another one. After that I usually end up with 2-5 sequence variations. Then I decide which ones I want for the verses, the hook, bridge etc... After that I usually add drums but sometimes I will add the bassline first or some other type of instrumentation. I never start with the drums but a lot of people seem to, it's just a personal preference thing. After a few beats you will work out what works best for you. I don't always chop up the sample either, sometimes I will just loop a certain part.

Back