Method of diggin

Wilby89

What's your method of diggin I have all my music in itunes so I listen to an album but if the track doesn't interest me I normally skip through and If I hear something I wanna sample I throw It in Virtual DJ change the tempo and record it and do this a number of times so when It comes to making a beat I dont have to sit there and search for something to sample.

I go to record shops, thrift stores & fleas, visit people who want to get rid of their records and sometimes buy from ebay or record stores online.
When I hear a sample I either sample it to my 2000XL or record it for later use.

If im looking for a particular sound, say The Delfonics, Ill go to there albums, and press play. Ill sit and play video games, shuffling through tracks until I hear something.

other times Ill go to a genre in itunes. Or type in motown and go through. Perhaps some lo-fi or psychecdelic (spell check.lol)

I have SO Many records its amazing. If i sat for a week str8 w/ no distractions. man....id be set! For another week. lol

I buy records at the record store sometimes cassettes sometimes cds. Mainly vinyl though. I go to my stash grab a couple records and sit down and listen. If I hear something I like ill sample it w/ reason and put it to the side for later.

I have a pile of vinyl that i didnt go through or listen yet and i always try to keep it at least 10 records so when I am about to make a beat I just go through it and when i finish I just put it in the other pile.
No matter how bad the album/record is I always make myself to make at least one beat out of it.

Record shops. There aren't too many in my area, but at least 2-3 that I frequent. If I see a name that pops out to me, like maybe a certain drummer that I liked on a different album, I'll cop that 9/10 times. I'm also really big on blind digging. If I just see some random ass album no one's ever heard of with some crazy cover art, I'll probably cop that, too.

Crazy ass, tripped out cover art almost always equals crazy people making the album, which equals crazy, unique sounds.

I just sample shit that I would listen too normally without it being chopped up. Find that anywhere, vinyl from local record shop, youtube videos, grooveshark. I have my soundcard hooked up to my amp's output so I can sample anything off the computer and then I load it up into Maschine and manipulate in there.

I agree with SepOne that trippy album art is another reason I buy most records.

Record shops and albumn covers that appeal to my eyes i guess.

iTunes and movie clips. I would love to add a turntable still looking for more info on the pro's and cons of direct drive vs belt drive and non usb/usb versions.

iTunes and movie clips. I would love to add a turntable still looking for more info on the pro's and cons of direct drive vs belt drive and non usb/usb versions.
Short version get a direct drive non usb for something long term. If you just want something for now buy as cheap as humanly possible. Belt Drives are good and in fact most high fi tables are belts but imo Directs are more stable. I use a direct now but I have my old belt at home for back up purposes.

When i download an album , i would usually just start to listen to it while playing my ps3 and keeping attention for a dope portion/loop/chop , or if i'm digging on youtube i would just go by the names of artist i know , for example a familiar name would show up and i would click it .

I was in your same position about 5 months ago. Grabbed a numark TTUSB. 117 U.S. with warranty. That's about as cheap as it gets for something new. But based on Net research I did a bit back Xabiton is on point. If you got the money to invest and you think you'll truly enjoy it, go ahead and go Direct Drive. Make sure you have a way to record it if it's non USB. (Interface, a pad sampler, ect.)

I used to be a hardcore crate digger when i started sampling.
But now i've kinda grown out of that since i have a huge album collection in mp3's now.

When i had the MV-8800 i sampled everything from vinyl.
With FL Studio i got a little lazier using mp3's but the result is even better now.
In the last 2 years ive only sampled mp3's to be honest.
I always look for entire discographies on btjunkie and filestube. Just collecting mp3-albums.
It's doesnt give you that hardcore feeling like being in a recordstore though but it works.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

But sampling is still the basis for all my beats.

When I started making beats on FL, I used to sample mp3 then copped an mpc. Once I bought my first vinyl , I just got hooked and cannot bring myself to sample mp3, not even .wav. Its not that I am on a high horse or anything, it just that it sounds like shiit to me when I put it through an mp. So its the opposite progression for me, i suppose.

I think my beats elevated because when I cop vinyl and there are no obvious samples on it, I still come back to it and make myself to make at least one beat out the album, so the way it works for me is to limit myself to create something dope.

Plus you get a chance to network and interact with different peeps in a record shop. The salesman at one of the shop I always dig started to keep a pile of records for me to go through every time I come in because he knows the kinda stuff I am looking for or I might like and he put me on some crazy stuff that I would never in a million years would ve found in related videos section of youtube.

Go to the thrift store and purchase everything there (very simple). A lot of people will disagree with this as they claim you can end up with a lot of junk. Truth is for me any and everything can used for something..

Back