mastering samples

S

Supacilious

im not sure the term is mastering but I need help with a couple techniques to make my samples have a profesional sound like the top producers...

now I've tried eq'ing which helps some but not enough...i also tried compressing but i may not be using the correct settings ...and i tried layering

maybe im doing these wrong i need some guisdance in the right path when it comes to getting a profesional sound out of my samples...and now that im starting to work with alot of artists i can tell my samples are far from profesional sounding...and also can i get some tips on mixing the entire process down...should i use a limiter? like waves L1 maximizer

first i need to know what you are sampling from. if you want to get the best sound those is to sample from vinyl.

you gotta hook your turntable up to a good DJ mixer then hook that directly into your sampling device. Make sure that your sample is loud, what i mean by that is make your sample it the red part on your LED meter, but dont over do it. Once you get that done make sure that your loop is in stereo to get that full sound. Other than all that make sure your sample is not distorted cause if it is your beat is gonna sound like some ****.

good luck.

ok that also helps...i was going to ask that aswell

I am a hip hop producer

and i am sampling from vinyl...but that doesnt fully answer my question because im asking more about prepping the sample to sound higher in quality to create profesional sounding sampled beats

its basically all in the connection and how your have your setup. if you are going from the turntable to the mixer to the cpu then you should be good. make sure your mids are up too in the sample to get that full sound a lot of ppl tend to leave that out.

also clean your vinyl off with alcohol to get a nice sound

Last edited:
generally. I don't eq the sample until the end. but zero it. then in sound forge (or any sound editor) process it as needed. that's when u can eq, compress, filter etc.... then u'r good to go.

Back